Hush, Hush 2: Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick | Teen Ink

Hush, Hush 2: Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

March 14, 2014
By Jaylene Marcial BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Jaylene Marcial BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In Becca Fitzpatrick’s sequel to Hush, Hush, Crescendo, she writes about the forbidden love between Nora, a human, and Patch, a fallen angel turned guardian angel. Just as their relationship is just starting to intensify, they run into obstacles that threatens to break them apart, such as Nora’s arch enemy Marcie Miller. Unfortunately, the book lacked the romance that was expected and there was much more of Nora’s crying over him and the emptiness she felt without him. Nora then begins to hang out with Scott, an old family friend that moves back to town , and she believes that he is hiding something that. She later finds out that he could be connected to her father’s death and part of the supernatural world of fallen angels and Nephilim. Nora also uses him to get Patch jealous which worked when she kissed Scott in front of him, and Patch then brutally attacks him at a party at Scott’s apartment. Not only this, but she is also being haunted by her deceased father and becomes obsessed with what happened to him the night he died.
Through all this, Vee, Nora’s best friend’ is cracking jokes even at the most serious of times which is why I loved her and it made me wish she made more appearances in the book. She was always confident in herself, loyal to Nora, and she was willing to speak her mind; therefore, Nora and Vee were complete opposites. Nora, on the other hand, was constantly contradicting herself and putting herself in harm’s way to get Patch’s attention. I do not mean to rag on Nora because she also has some admirable qualities, such as her determination, her loyalty to the people she loves, and her curiosity, even though it gets her into trouble in more than one occasion.
When Scott was introduced, I still had hope that there would be romance and passion mentioned by both Nora and Patch but it disappointed. The only part when they were actually talking flirtatiously and saying romantic comments in each other’s ears was in the very beginning in the book, making my poor teenage heart flutter by the cuteness of it all, sadly it was soon over. I cannot relate to this love story personally but I can relate to Vee, whom is oblivious to what is happening around her, specifically about the supernatural.

I loved the book and all the unexpected twists and turns. Becca Fitzpatrick knew all the right words to use and everything seemed so vivid. However, I still believed it lacked the romance and it definitely could have had less of Nora’s devastation over their temporary break up. Besides that the book over all was quite amazing.
Even though it was not the love story I expected, I will admit that I could not find myself to put the book down and I read the entire book in only two days. This book will definitely please teenagers, such as myself, and leave them wanting to read the entire series.