The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

By JordanJ_14 BRONZE, Littleton, CO 80127, Colorado
JordanJ_14 BRONZE, Littleton, CO 80127, Colorado

"May your neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, angles protect you, and heaven expect you"

A book has been released that will change the world. This book is“The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak. “The Book Thief” is an incredible story about a girl named Liesel, and her life, which is all narrated by Death. When Zusak was asked about his thoughts and how he came up with the storyline, he replied with, “There’s an expression that War and Death are like best friends. So, I thought, who better to tell a story set in Nazi Germany, because Death was everywhere at that time and place. And what’s the opposite of that all-powerful Death? Vulnerable Death. What if Death were afraid of us? What if Death were haunted by humans (Markus Zusak)”?
What if is right. What if Death feared us and our very nature. Maybe because we are too mean, too rude, too selfish; not able to see the big picture? What would vulnerable death be like? When you and I think about death, we think of loss and sorrow, and so through a series of connections, we mentally combine powerful with death. But what if... Just what if the death that we are seeing is truly the vulnerable death. The death that doesn’t want to take lives. The death that wants the best for us. The death that is haunted by taking the soul of a human away from its body. Maybe it isn’t Death that causes us to think that it is all powerful, but us, and the way we see Death. This was all expressed so carefully and delicately throughout this book that it made the writing turn into magical words. These words then came together to tell a story that touched me in ways I never thought possible.
Throughout this story, Leisel is growing up in the heart of Nazi Germany, during the Holocaust. She was sent to her Foster Parent’s home when her parents were killed along with her brother. Under her tough exterior, there is a girl waiting to tell you her story. By Death narrating this book, it brought a whole new level of meaning and commitment to the story: from the parts about the books, to the Jewish fist-fighter, to her new life, to how she was supposed to live her life.
This book isn’t just another story. Yes, it's fiction, but this story deals the real pain and brutality that was felt by people all throughout the holocaust. This book brings a new level of compassion to the world. It shows that there are good people out there, and there are bad people. People that want to help, and people that don’t. It is the job of the people to take notice of this and take a stand for what is right in this world; liking helping another, praying for one’s friends, and loving unconditionally, for you never know when something terrible will strike. Nobody was prepared for the Holocaust; not the battles, and certainly not the losses. History has a tendency to repeat itself, so try not to blink and miss the world flash by before your eyes. That just goes to show that you have to make your story count, and not to forget the one’s who have gone before you.
Marcus Zusak showed us that this book will connect to everyone, on some level or another. For me, it was how through all the pain, Leisel never gave up. Ever. What will you do when given the opportunity to take a risk and let hope guide you to change the world? I hope you take it; and embrace it with all your heart, because when you take this giant leap of faith, you will become someone's hero

on Mar. 13 2014 at 1:04 pm
KarmaBites GOLD, Columbia Heights, Minnesota
An intriguing and thought-provoking review. Congrats on the award!