Don't Think Twice by Ruth Pennebaker | Teen Ink

Don't Think Twice by Ruth Pennebaker

By katierico23 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
katierico23 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

"Don't Think Twice" by Ruth Pennebaker, was first published in April 1996. This novel as you can tell from "I don't want to think about giving birth until I absolutely have to. Next month, maybe." is about pregnancy.
Set in Texas in the late 1960's, Anne Harper is 17 years old and pregnant. To avoid embarrassment, her parents placed her in a home for unwed expectant mothers.
Anne originally befriended the girls at the home. As time goes by the girls rely on each other for support and strength. Some of the girls were impregnated by their boyfriends; however,other girls became pregnant from being raped.
Anne starts as tough and uncaring. As soon as she gives up her baby for adoption she realizes it was a mistake. As Anne grows in her pregnancy, she starts to think more about loving and nurturing her unborn baby. Due to this, Anne no longer thinks of her pregnancy as a mistake.
I do recommend this book to other persons, it teaches a wise lesson. To think before you do something that will change your life forever. A teenage girl that is trying to make good decisions in her life will like this book because it shows them what not to do.
I enjoyed this book immensely. My favorite part of the book is when she starts to go to these meetings with all the other girls in the home. She opens herself up to everyone although she does not talk. I did not have a least favorite part. I would not change the ending.