1 9 8 4 by George Orwell | Teen Ink

1 9 8 4 by George Orwell

LordSlothManGuyDudeBroHermano SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

The book 1984 by George Orwell is a great dystopian novel about the dangers of a government that controls the everyday lives, and even the thoughts, of its citizens. The government keeps tracks of its citizens through telescreens, televisions, which contain microphone and constantly blare government propaganda and news. The government controls almost every aspect of the citizens lives. In the novel, a man named Winston Smith who works for the Ministry of Truth. He censors public works and newspapers making the facts fit whatever the government wants the populace to believe at that moment. Winston decides to rebel and seeks out a group called The Brotherhood that wishes to destroy Big Brother, the leading figure of Oceania. Winston finds as many ways as possible to rebel against the government, and seeks to find true freedom.

George Orwell’s writing has never been more pertinent than in today’s world. With the recent discoveries that the NSA has been spying on the public, 1984 shows a very real and dangerous possibility in the United States. In the world today, where every person is interconnected through the internet, how do we know that he government does not have as large of a surveillance program as big brother had in 1984. The novel is a great reminder of how easily a government could turn from a force for good to a force of evil which aspires to only fill its needs. Everyone needs to read 1984 and try to learn from Orwell and his warnings.