Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher | Teen Ink

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

February 27, 2014
By WonderFulWriter SILVER, Lebanon, Indiana
WonderFulWriter SILVER, Lebanon, Indiana
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"My body will NOT be a tomb for animals."


I saw Thirteen Reasons Why at a Barnes and Nobles and out of curiousity asked the head worker about it. After an extremely emotional response as to how it would tear my heart out, i decided to give it a try.

13 Reasons Why begins in a small town with a basketcase named Clay, who has been struggling with depression. Devastated by the death of a good acquantance of his, Hannah Baker, who took her own life in a state of lonliness and solitude. As Clay lives on bottling up his feelings, an anonymous package arrives for him filled with cassette tapes. Little does he know that on the tapes is Hannah Barkers suicide note, made right before her suicide. Its states 13 reasons, or people, that drove her to take her own life, Clay being one of them. That day take shim on a rollercoaster ride of emotions he will never forget.

This book is honestly amazing. 13 Reasons Why will make you smile in satisfaction, cry in frustration, and


revaluate your life choices. Joy Asher helps the readers comprehend the typical teenage life in a different perspective, from the outsiders. To see into the life of a hurting teen and how the aftermath affects the loved ones around. Most of all, it is a relatable book for anyone dealing with the loss of a friend or peer in this young and sensitive age frame.

The message this book conveys is to definetly not suffer alone. The loss of a peer is extremely extremely difficult on everyone around you and the process is easier when you are open about how you are feeling. It not only can help you fin dinner peace with the situation but help the ones around you heal having someone to relate to. Asher displays this ,essage heavily while we follow on Clays journey and watch him mature and open up slowly which makes him a better person.

13 Reasons Why is a mature book with emotionally draining content so my recomendation would be at least 14 of age and above. When reading this book, your must arm yourself against material that will make you want to cry. Overall, it is a raw, undilated, relatable, solid book worthy of praise.


The author's comments:
I hope this book review inspires readers to go out and check out this book, its beautifully composed and life altering.