The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

By Haylay BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, Utah
Haylay BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, Utah

Percy is soon to be heading back to Camp Half-Blood but before he does he goes to see his new school his moms new boyfriend has gotten him into. He soon learns that a girl he had witnessed last year that can see through the mist also goes to his school, Rachel Elizabeth Dare. They’re soon attacked by a couple of empousai cheerleaders and are barely able to make it out. Percy returns to camp and learns about the Labyrinth, which was designed by a man named Daedalus. He also meets the camp’s new sword master, Quintus, who has a hell hound as a pet. During a trial battle at camp with giant scorpions, Percy and Annabeth find an entrance into the Labyrinth accidentally. The entrance has been used before by Luke and Quintus says Grover’s girlfriend. This is the entrance that Luke will try and lead an army straight into Camp Half-Blood. Percy, Annabeth, Grover and Tyson must find Daedalus before Luke using the Labyrinth so that he can’t get Ariadne’s string, which acts like a guide throughout the Labyrinth. Throughout their journey they save Tyson’s idol, the Hundred-Handed One from Kampe, a half women and half dragon monster. To Tyson’s disappointment, Briares (Hundred-Handed one) is to scared to help them. After a battle on the farm of Geryon the group is reunited with Nico di Angelo, son of Hades. Who blames Percy for the death of his sister Bianca, but decides to put it behind him after an encounter with his sisters ghost. Next, by order of Hephaestus, Percy goes to Mt. St. Helens. Percy and Annabeth decide for Annabeth to go in using her hat of invisibility but of course Percy doesn’t listen. Inside he finds telekhines. He’s soon discovered by them and is attacked. Percy finds Annabeth and they have short argument for him not listening and he tells Annabeth to go, she unexpectedly kisses him and leaves. While trying to escape, Percy causes the volcano to erupt. When he wakes up he finds himself on an island where Calypso lives. She treats him until he is well and he returns back to Camp Half-Blood. Percy gets help from Rachel Elizabeth Dare. The mortal who is able to see through the mist, she leads them through the Labyrinth. Grover finally finds Pan, but he is dying and he asks Grover to tell the rest of the world they have to save the natural world on their own. Back at camp they finally discover the new sword instructor Quintus is actually Daedalus, and also find that Kronos, with the help of Luke, now has enough strength to come back by possessing Luke. Luke has already reached Daedalus and gotten Ariadne’s string; using it he sends Kronos’s army into Camp Half-Blood through the Labyrinth. There are too many people for the camp to fight and they are losing. Daedalus and Briares come back to help fight the battle. Grover rescues the camp by causing a panic, a yell that sends all the enemy army retreating that he has attained from Pan’s spirit. After the battle, Daedalus sacrifices himself to close the Labyrinth, which is tied to his life. Percy leaves to go back to live with his mom now that the summer is almost over. On his 15th birthday Nico comes by to talk to him about his upcoming battle with Kronos on his 16th birthday.

I enjoyed this book a lot because it was the fourth book in the series so it was starting to get really intense. I also love greek mythology! I think it is so interesting, especially when it is written about in terms like this. I learned a lot more about greek mythology reading this series. This book has multiple different themes to it. I don’t think it really has just one big one, but it does has a lot of small ones. One I really liked and thought about was when Briares (Hundred-Handed One) was rescued. He didn’t want to help them on their journey, but Tyson believed in him so much he started believing in himself and in the end helped them fight the battle against Kronos’s army in Camp Half-Blood. You just need to believe a little, was the theme I got from that section of the book. I would recommend this book for elementary ages 3rd grade up to maybe 30-40 year old adults. The way it was written was more for younger ages but I still think some younger adults would enjoy it!