To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee | Teen Ink

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I read To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. The genre is African American. The copyright is 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird uses interesting language throughout the book that shows the characters depth and how they fit into their town. The style of the writing keeps you interested in the book and you won’t want to put it down especially at the end. I would recommend this book to eighth or ninth graders because although a great book, there is tough vocabulary and some spots can get confusing for younger students, if you don’t understand it throughly. Overall it is a great book and I would give it 5 out of 5 stars for a rating.

To Kill a Mockingbird is about a girl named Jean Louise Finch also known as Scout, her brother Jem Finch, and her Father Atticus Finch, who live in Maycomb, Alabama. Maycomb is a small town where everybody knows everybody and secrets get around fast. The book starts with Scout living her normal life, which is exploring and doing things most boys would be doing. Then a boy named Dill shows up one summer, and Scout, Dill, and Jem get in to trouble with the neighbors the Radleys. The Radleys are the people that no one speak to because of a supposedly insane son. This makes Scout, Dill, and Jem eager to find out the truth about the Radleys. They try to find information throughout their summers because when school comes, Dill goes home for and comes back next summer. As the story moves on, it gets into the secrets of the town all leading Scout’s father’s court case, where her father defends a Black man versus a White man’s words. The outcome of the trial affects many people in different ways that leads to an ending you will never expect.