To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee | Teen Ink

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

January 13, 2014
By Annaliese BRONZE, Chelsea, Michigan
Annaliese BRONZE, Chelsea, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's not how far you come, it's how hard you try.
-Anonymous


Innocence, truth, prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee has an interesting take on racism and to stand up even when for what matters, you’re being put down. The story is examined in great detail by a young immature Scout. Throughout the story she sets an exemplary example of how to stand up for family.
Jem and Scout lost their mother, Atticus lost a wife; family couldn’t mean more to these three, but when the time comes, they don’t just stand up for their family, but for the ones who deserve it.
Courage, funny word with big meaning, if you were to look courage up in the dictionary Atticus’s picture would appear. Atticus, the father of Scout, is a successful lawyer in town. He is asked to take the defense of Tom Robinson a black man accused of raping a young white girl. She is from a poor family, that often asks Tom to do handy work for them. Tom is threatened and some believe themselves that Tom will not live until his trial, after hearing of these threats Atticus is determined to protect Tom no matter what the risks are. He even sits outside the jail, and stays put as mobs dispose of their threats. Tom makes it to the trial, as more and more threats come rolling in, families are turning, people are fighting, but hope is found through Tom, “Shoot all the bluejays you want, but remember it is a sin to kill a mockingbird.” reminding Atticus that Tom is still strong, and will remain that way convicted or not.

Not only the author’s word choice, but the exact rhythm they are placed in composes an intensely clear image of the horrors Scout and her family are facing. The book represents truly innocent souls. If you think about it, this book takes a look into greater depth, the truly idiotic American racism. In the end with all of their hard work and dedication, Tom has a trial, but you have to find the precise ending yourself, with a little help from Harper Lee.
The book places important ideas in your head, each with its own path to take. Opinions change the way the story ends, it is up to the reader to create the books meaning. The question may be clear, but the answer must be found.


The author's comments:
I read To Kill a Mockingbird for my English class and found it very inspiring, lots of kids my age think of it as an 'old person' book, but it really is interesting if you just open the first page.