The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry

January 13, 2014
By Hope Brintnall BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Hope Brintnall BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What will happen when you think that your world is perfect but then you realize it isn't. That there are so many secrets to uncover and that your world is made up around lies and that you cannot tell the truth from a lie. This all happens in The Giver By Lois Lowry. It is about a boy named Jonas and when he turns twelve his world turns around. He is selected for a very important job. The Receiver of Memories. He is in charge of protecting the memories and then when he has inquired all of them to pass them onto the next Receiver of Memories because they are very special and although the people cannot know about the memories they still need to be kept with the community. The Giver is Fiction.


In this book a boy named Jonas realizes that in his community there are secrets thats the elders are keeping from the people. Secrets that everybody should be able to know about. Like how you get released and why there are so many rules. When Jonas gets selected for the special and rare job Receiver of Memories he decides that he needs to do something about it. He and the Giver start to think up a plan. They were having trouble thinking one that would not be harmful to them when Jonas thought about the previous Receiver of Memories who had failed. When she got released the memories got free and the people knew about them. It was a long and painful task to take the memories away from the people. But of course killing Jonas was out of the question. But if Jonas somehow leaves the community it is like the same thing as getting released. But i’m going to leave it up to you to find the final resolution.

The main characters in The Giver are Jonas and the Giver. One word that I would use to describe Jonas is persistent. He never gives up and even tries to do the impossible. One word to describe The Giver is weary. Even though he has some good days with Jonas most of the time he is getting eaten alive by the painful memories that he inquires. Some of the other characters are Asher, Fiona, and Jonas’s dad. A word to describe Asher is confused. I chose this because when a bunch of kids were playing bad guys vs good guys and Jonas told them to stop he was very confused. For Fiona I chose friendly. She is aware of everyone's feelings and she is always there when Jonas needs her. For Jonas’s Dad I chose two-faced. It’s not really in a bad way but the face that Jonas see’s is kind and gentle but his other face is “cold”. I say cold because he releases babies without a second thought. Release is a nice word for kill. They do not want to upset and alarm the citizens so that is why they use that word.

I think that Lois Lowry writing style is very polished and good. I personally really like it because she includes a tremendous amounts of detail in her books and emotion. The Giver really pulled me in. My initial reaction was wow and oh my gosh because of all the action. It was fast paced and got to the point.


I believe that The Giver was a really well written book with lots of emotion and feeling. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a good read. I think that this book has a lot of suspense and I think that or at least I know that I had to read it all in one sitting because of all the suspense. This book is good for a rainy or cold day. It comes hand in hand with hot cocoa or coffee and a fuzzy blanket.