Looking For Alaska by John Green This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

This happens to be the first book by famed young adult author John Green, and also the first John Green book I ever read. And I'm going to be honest with you, I had low expectations on Looking For Alaska, because I didn't know how good John Green was at the time. But after reading this, he became one of my most favorite authors.

What's it about? We center around a teenage boy named Miles 'Pudge' Halter, who happens to like knowing famous people's last words. He moves from his home in Florida to a boarding school in Alabama to find his 'Great Perhaps' in life. While there, he becomes with friends with another teenage boy nicknamed the Colonel, a boy named Takumi, and the beautifully eccentric Alaska Young. And while attending this boarding school, Pudge begins to fall in love with Alaska, despite the fact she's dating someone else.

This is what I call an amazing way for an amazing author to start out. Even with the book at 200 pages, you can obviously tell John Green had a ton of fun writing this, and it definitely shows. Every single one of these characters are just so real and hilarious. Pudge is a very enjoyable character, as well is the Colonel and Takumi.

But when you get to Alaska herself, she makes this novel. I can't think of a single person who says she isn't their favorite character in Looking for Alaska. She's mysterious, she's wild, she's emotional, she's funny, she's smart, she's kind, she's caring, she's eccentric and full of energy. Alaska Young is everything you want in a character. I know it's kind of cliched to say they act like real people, but it's justified this time.

The story itself is very nice, because it's mostly about the characters living their wild lives breaking rules in a strict boarding school, and letting the characters just breathe like people. I really love books that do that instead of having a standard plot, the kind of novel that just lets people be people. But besides being funny and hilarious, Looking For Alaska is very dramatic.

Without giving too many spoilers, let's just say that the ending of this book wasn't exactly happy, but it wasn't sad either. It just had this bittersweet ending of what makes you wonder about life itself, and how far a relationship, whether it be friendly or romantic, can last.

Overall, I will not dare give away anything to spoil this for anyone. I find this as one of my favorite John Green novels, and it may become yours too!