Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell | Teen Ink

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

By RachelAllyce SILVER, Des Plaines, Illinois
RachelAllyce SILVER, Des Plaines, Illinois

"Reality is for people with no imagination." -Jan Tincher.

I received, not too long ago, a book tag from one of my friends on Facebook. The tag was simple: name ten books that have stuck with you throughout your life. I had obvious choices ranging from Harry Potter to The Monster at the End of this Book, but there was one book that made that list that just stuck after a few weeks. It was Fangirl.

I read this book at the beginning of the Fall 2013 semester and usually I have to wait a while to process a good review for a book. It wasn’t until a few days ago when I received the book tag that I was convinced that Fangirl would stay with me for a while. It follows Cath, a college freshman that is studying English and who is also a fanfiction writer. One of the major advantages to this novel is that it is so relatable. Things that were significant to me like writing, going to college, having struggles and stresses, and having to deal with family are all in there.

One very (and I mean very) minor flaw in this book is the illusion of Simon Snow. Simon is a character that Cath writes in her fanfiction. Throughout the novel, I related Simon Snow to the equivalent of Harry Potter. Harry, much like Simon in this case, changed me and a vast majority of young adult and adult readers alike. I, much like Cath, grew up with Harry and Cath grew up with Simon. There’s a line in the book where Cath mentions Harry Potter and, I must admit, it threw me off. Simon being cooler than Harry? I just couldn’t buy into that, but then again I haven’t read Simon Snow like Cath has.

I’m a super sucker for all things cheesy and “melt your heart into butter” kind of adorable, and this book has a whole bunch of that awesome cheese. Watch out hopeless romantics, this one will drive you crazy. Here’s the fun part though, the dynamics of the relationships are so strong and well-developed that it will keep you turning pages to see what happens. It’s not the stupid kind of cheese where you realize it’s just been sitting out and is over-cultivated. It’s like a mozzarella stick that when you bite into it, it just keeps growing and expanding and just leaves you with this longing. (See what I did there?)

There are so many things that are working for this book and I highly recommend it because it’s definitely worth it.

You might even devour it in one sitting.

I received this book to review from Teen Ink. Thank you!

Lanimal SILVER said...
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

I absolutely agree with you on everything you said, especially the Harry Potter part! This is an awesome reveiw. :) On another note, this book is extremely creepy . . . only because it LITERALLY describes my life. I have a twin who loves to write and is going to be an English major (like Cath), while I still like to write, but am going to be a business/marketing major (like Wren). My twin has glasses, and I like to go out with friends more. Like Cath and Wren, my twin and I also have the emerald as a birthstone (minor detail, but still). Hopefully this book doesn't tell the future, because I don't know if I want to go down the same path as Wren . . . . Anyways, excellent review! :)

Red546 GOLD said...
Red546 GOLD, Warrenton, Georgia
I like your metaphor. :) I think I'll look for this in Barnes and Noble if i ever get there.