The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When my mom gave me The House of the Scorpion, I thought I would never read it. The cover was red and black and had a large, creepy scorpion on it. My first thought was this was some horror story with bugs crawling all over. I finally gave in and began reading it. Immediately I was sucked in; The House of the Scorpion is not about actual scorpions, but a family whose last name is Alacrán, which means scorpion.

This novel is set in a futur­istic world of Mexico and the Southern United States. The main character is Matteo Alacrán, the clone of a powerful drug lord. This book is about his journey as a clone with everyone looking down
on him. When he finds out the horrible secret of why he was ­created, he realizes he must ­escape. The House of the Scorpion is not just thrilling but thought-­provoking.

It is very easy to connect with the characters because the author, Nancy Farmer, writes so beautifully. She paints pictures with words; I could see everything as it happened. Because I was so engrossed in this world, it was hard to put it down. When I finished, I wanted to read it again and again.

The cover of The House of the Scorpion doesn't bother me anymore – probably because I love the story behind it. I finally learned with this book the age-old rule: “Don't judge a book by its cover.” If anyone is looking for a fascinating read, I highly recommend The House of the Scorpion.

SavageTracy said...
Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:16 am:
Don't have money to buy a car? Do not worry, because that is possible to take the home loans to resolve all the problems. Thus take a auto loan to buy everything you require.

tinytechieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm:
i loved this book! i had to read for summer reading and was never bored (but i love books so that is rarely the case)! Matt is so brave and El Patron is so creepy! That story he always tells is so weird and it just gets weirder. Gosh I want to just keep writing, but then I would spoil the book! READ THIS BOOK!

Kimmers96 said...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm:

Amazing book! I had to read it for a literature class and thought it'd be creepy.. but it's really good!

Your review made me think of exactly how I felt!

ElkieLionThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 10:24 am:
I want to read it!!!

lzcelloplayerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 28, 2012 at 7:38 am:
I absolutely loved this book and could not stop reading it. I think you wrote this review very well and did the book justice. :D

Afra- said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 5:06 am:
I LOVED this book. It was amazing! 

glinda123 said...
May 20, 2011 at 11:31 am:
A great review of an excellent book. Good job! :)

writingrocks said...
Nov. 13, 2010 at 6:20 am:
I read this book and I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great review!!!!!!!!!!!

Panthera pardus replied...
Mar. 20, 2011 at 3:16 am :
nice review!

GrayDays said...
I read this book too! It's actually a pretty good book. It really makes you think about how money can control someone and how a clone is a whole different being in itself.

Bobby F. said...
May 7, 2010 at 7:39 pm:
It was a really great book. I had a hard time putting it down too!

reader101 said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 5:04 pm:
They should make a 2nd Part of this book. I didn't really get the ending of this book and also, very good and adventure book

tinytechieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm :
good idea!

dahc55 said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 3:30 pm:
HOW DOES THIS BOOK END? WHATS THE CONCLUSION

dahc55 said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 5:23 pm:
how does this end

Ejm1059 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 8:06 pm:
I loved this book when I was younger! I couldn't put it down :]

mudkip123 replied...
Apr. 11, 2011 at 2:10 pm :
i totally agree i love this book as well!!!!!!!!!  :)

Hottopic21 said...
What did Celia poison Matt with?

Kommunstein replied...
Mar. 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm :
She used arsenic and poured it into the small swimming pool.

May 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm :
that was so smart of her. she really loves him and though it was a big risk, it was better than the alternitive...