The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han | Teen Ink

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

December 17, 2013
By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
293 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"So many books, so little time"


Isabel or as everyone knows her as Belly lives for summer. Most people judge their life by the year; but not Belly. She does it by summers. Each summer her, her older brother Steve and her Mom goes to the beach house with Beck and her boys Conrad and Jeremiah. The beach house is where everything important happened to her. There is where she met her first love, had her not-so-romantic first kiss, dated a boy, and grew up into who she is today. Yet unlike ever other summer this one is different. This summer Beck’s boys notice her. Not as little Belly Button but as Bells. For this summer is the one when Belly turns pretty.
The characters have some big personalities. Sullen and a little moody Conrad, hyper preppy-boy Jeremiah; you cannot help but to love Becks boys. Yet they share little in common except for one thing. Belly. For me it was hard to see who if she does end up with. Jeremiah her friend? Or Conrad who kept pushing her away, but then is pulling her back? Belly it seems does not know either.
Belly herself is not a pleasant charter either. For me she was dry. She did not do anything and went with the flow pretty much all the time. Also for how many times then mention how pretty she was, they did not give us a description on how she looked like. All I know is she had contacts, brown hair, freckles and how tan she is. She was also quite vain in some parts. That why it made me so happy when Conrad pointed tout of how much she looks at herself in the mirror.
Jenny Han writing is common. It’s not that capturing, but the book itself is a classic beach novel. With a twist in the end about Beck, you get to finish the novel feeling sad, yet eager to read the other two in the set. For the first book in a trilogy it was not as bad as it could have been. With the last capture being kind of confusing it’s a sneak peak and what’s to come. This book in the end sums up to be the perfect trash beach novel.