World War Z by Max Brooks | Teen Ink

World War Z by Max Brooks

November 21, 2013
By Rachel Thomas BRONZE, San Diego, California
Rachel Thomas BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

World War Z is a very different take from most zombie stories. Instead of being the generic "family caught in the zombie apocalypse trying to survive" plot, this follows a different storyline and format. Rather than taking place during the event, the story is formatted as a retelling of the zombie war. Brooks stragetically created interview-like stories told by characters that survived World War Z. Not only does it explain the war itself, the characters describe life before the outbreak, how it spread in different countries, efforts to eradicate it, victories and losses, the mass destruction and life post-apocalypse. It gives the full story from various perspectives, rich politicians to poor average men, in great detail. This book sucks you in with its descriptive language and realistic views. It doesn't sound impossible; rather, the story sounds like an actual event coming from a history text book. It's believable. Many realize World War Z was converted into a movie mid-2013. To the misconception of many people who never read the book, the mediums are quite different. The movie is a story about one family's struggle through the war, versus the book is various interviews that recall the experience of the war. If you are looking for a good zombie book that strays from the average plot, pick up World War Z. It grips you and pulls you in like a zombie thats grabbed you for dinner. Highly engaging, thought provoking, and believable.


The author's comments:
I hope people will realize the difference between the book and the movie and learn that not all zombie stories are the same.