Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson | Teen Ink

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

November 20, 2013
By enjoi_life BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
enjoi_life BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where can I start with this book. This book is probably one of the craziest/fun/best books I have ever read. On the surface the book is about Hunter S. Thompson going to Las Vegas to write about a big derby and later on, a drug conference for all law enforcers, while having a ton of drugs being consumed. Yet, if you look beyond the surface and you actually try to understand and interpret what the author is trying to say then you can see that it is about the long and savage journey that only some people are willing to go the distances to find the “American Dream.” They try to find themselves; they look for anything that will help them find the “American Dream.” A huge theme in this book is, trying to find your self in this crazy thing called life, but that is one of the main goals of life is to find your self in your own life. Many times in the book the author, Hunter S. Thompson, thinks he has found the “American Dream,” but he soon realizes that the “American Dream” is whatever you think the “American Dream” is. Nobody, or any drug can show you the way to the American Dream, you have to find it yourself and chase it. The symbol of this book is the “Great Red Shark,” the car they have when they first go to Las Vegas, it was a very fast, red, convertible, that they drive very fast and crazy in to Las Vegas. This connects to the character’s because they have a very crazy savage like life with this car, which gets wrecked, which symbolizes their life because their life seems to be wrecked when everything seems to be going wrong. I would recommend this book to anyone that is looking for a good read from the counter-culture and/or is trying to find themselves in their own crazy life.