American Gods by Neil Gaiman | Teen Ink

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

September 19, 2013
By WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other
WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other
12 articles 3 photos 95 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you keep writing, you will pick up structure. You will pick up form

- Richard Matheson


Neil Gaiman’s American Gods is an epic tale of modern and traditional gods vying to eliminate one another in an effort to gain more believers.
The novel is very entertaining in its own way. Think Stephen King’s The Stand and cultural folklore mixed together and you get this story. It alludes to the fact that our modern society has abandoned its traditional beliefs and relies more on technology to get through the day. All the characters have interesting qualities that we can relate to, yet there are some magical characteristics we will never understand. We have the new gods (who represent the mass media, Internet, etc) and the older, more traditional gods (Odin, Anansi, Anubis, etc). Gaiman’s craft is unmatched when describing these characters and makes the novel seem more like a grown up version of Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
Overall, American Gods has many things to offer. It has an adventurous plot, fun characters, and a lesson in history and modern day society. Beware though, the book does have a fair amount of swearing as well as some raunchy scenes. Despite this, maybe this novel will enhance your belief in the gods.