Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

By z7337 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
z7337 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

Fever 1793 is an interesting story that teaches us about living with disease and terror. The book has received numerous awards including the ALA Best Book for Young Adults and several positive reviews. The book was written by Laurie Halse Anderson. Anderson has also written the highly acclaimed books, Chains and Speak. Chains received the Scott O’Dell award. Speak was adapted into a movie. Anderson began to work on this book after reading an article in her local newspaper on the two hundred year anniversary of the tragic epidemic. In this book review I will tell you about Mattie’s first struggles and her life in Philadelphia, the role of survival, and why I find this book eye-opening.

Fever 1793 is a historical fiction novel that takes place in late summer (mid-August) in 1793 in broiling Philadelphia. At the time, Philadelphia was the capitol of the United States of America. In this book several important historical politicians are mentioned such as George Washington. The main character, Mattie (16 years old), her mother, and grandfather run their busy coffee shop along with Eliza, a free slave who is their cook. Life continues to follow their daily routine until the day Polly, the serving girl, dies of fever.

Everyone assumes it is a typical fever that ends by the arrival of the first frost, but gossip travels and rumors of several diseases spread throughout the city. “You doctors are alike, scaring us to earn more business.” One day, the Ogilvie family, who are wealthy, invite Mattie and her mother over for tea. At the Ogilvie’s afternoon tea, one of the daughters faints. “Mother knelt down and laid the back of her hand against Colette’s forehead. The fever!” Afterward the church bells of Philadelphia made a lot of clamor after constantly ringing to symbolize all the deaths. Mattie and her grandfather go to the print shop where they find the mayor’s advice for citizens:
“On advice from the college of physicians:
1.
All persons should avoid those who are infected.
2.
The homes of the sick should be marked.
3.
Sick people should be placed in the center of large airy rooms without curtains and should be kept clean.
4.
We must supply a hospital for the poor.
5.
All bell tolling should cease immediately.
6.
The dead should buried privately.
7.
The streets and wharves must be kept clean.”
8.
All persons should fatigue of the body and mind.
9.
All persons should avoid being in the sun, drafts, and evening air.
10.
All persons should dress appropriately for weather.
11.
All persons should consume alcohol in moderation.”

When they return from the store, they soon learn Mattie’s mother is infected with yellow fever. Upon her mother’s request, Mattie and her grandfather leave for the country where it is believed to be safe, but they will not reach their destination. They come back home to discover their shop had been broken into and Mattie’s mother is nowhere to be found. With no mail service Mattie can only hope that her mother isn’t in the several piles of bodies on the street. Mattie has to learn to take care of herself including watching over her grandfather, finding food, and protecting the coffeehouse. Will Mattie learn the difficulties of growing up and having to take huge responsibility? Will her mother survive and return home safely?
I believe the theme of Fever 1793 is survival. No one could be trusted during the epidemic because everyone was worried that they would be infected with the disease. At a time of crisis and sadness, family and friends’ support and company is important. You have to brave and courageous and learn to continue to live life. Learning to live outside your comfort zone and adapt to a changing environment is the only way you can survive. “What did it feel like to die? Was it a peaceful sleep? Some thought it was full of either trumpet blowing angels or angry devils. Perhaps I was already dead.” The tone of the book was very relatable, frightening, worrisome, and melancholy. Anderson writes in a way that is easy to understand.
One character who is in the book limitedly is Nathaniel Benson. He is a friend of Mattie’s, but it is insinuated that she likes him more than that. He is a painter and works for the famous Peale family. “Good luck with your paints? Did I really say that? What a ninny.” Throughout the story Mattie wonders and hopes that he is still alive. “My heart tripped over the thought of Nathaniel Benson, and I smiled in spite of myself.” Will the two be reunited?
Fever 1793 is a distinguished book that teaches us about history, survival, maturing, and living with a deadly disease. It is very interesting and gets you to compare our lives to those almost two hundred years ago. The main character helps make it easy to relate. It is eye-opening and helps us realize the struggles and horrors of living in the end of the eighteenth century. This book gets the reader determined to find out what happens in the end. I could not put the book down. The book is very realistic, I hadn’t even heard of the yellow fever epidemic until I read this book. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in history, life, survival, fiction, or strong female characters.