Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

September 5, 2013
By catbunn BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
catbunn BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is a book from an award winning series, written by JK Rowling. With the Harry Potter series being one of the most popular series in history, you would have to guess it would be fantastic. JK Rowling, along with her writing, supports many charities. JK’s writing stands out very much compared to other authors. She is so creative and she gets you hooked, you can never put the book down because you always want to know, what will happen next.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets takes place in England in a school called Hogwarts, where magic and wizardry is taught. Harry, the main character lives in Mr. and Mrs. Dursley’s home during the summer. His aunt and uncle (the Dursleys) live in the muggle world. Harry lives locked in his room only getting food from the small cat door when the Dursley’s remember. Not being allowed to use magic all summer, he just wishes to go back to Hogwarts. But, only one thing stands in his way; Dobby the house elf is trying his best to make Harry Potter stay away from Hogwarts, for he thinks it is far too dangerous.

A few weeks into his life at Hogwarts, strange things start to happen. Writing appears on the walls, animals and people are being petrified, and a flow of spiders is always scurrying to get somewhere. Everyone at Hogwarts believes that Harry is the cause of all of this. Soon it is made clear that the Chamber of Secrets is open again, for the first time in fifty years. With all the muggle-borns being attacked and one student’s disappearance, Harry wants to get to the bottom of it. In his journey he finds a journal that may be key to finding out what it going on.

The theme of this book can be identified as; people can do a lot more than they think they can. “It is our choices, Harry, that show that we truly are, far more than our abilities.” I’d say the tone of this book is mysterious. The emotions of different characters varied. Harry’s emotion was determined and smart, while Malfoy’s was rude and sly.

The Chamber of Secrets is a dungeon that is said to be somewhere deep in the school. Many rumors roam around the school involving this mysterious place. Some people don’t think it exists yet the gamekeeper supposedly opened it fifty years before. Will Harry ever find the chamber?

I thought this book was wonderful. It amazes me that someone could create something so original and interesting. JK Rowling was so descriptive with Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, which makes the reader entertained. I never wanted to put the book down; there was always a mystery waiting to be solved. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves fiction and mystery.