Buried Onions by Gary Soto | Teen Ink

Buried Onions by Gary Soto

By SaraElizabeth PLATINUM, St. Charles, Missouri
SaraElizabeth PLATINUM, St. Charles, Missouri

"Geniune poetry can communicate before it is understood"

In the poverty stricken city of Fresno, nineteen year old Eddie wants nothing more than to survive. 
However, when his beloved cousin is brutally murdered much like the other male figures in Eddies life, the pressure to seek revenge on his killer threatens to swallow him whole, leaving him no chance to break the cycle he so desperately finds himself wanting out of.
The book, "buried onions" follows the life of a young man struggling to hold his own in a city of crime and tears. He theorizes that the overwhelming despair of the city is caused by the stench of an onion buried far beneath the ground, leaving the residents of the community in a fog of constant sadness. 
Eddie's story really helps to open the reader's mind to a life beyond their own. His personal thoughts and beliefs help us to connect to his situation, and leave us crying over his losses, and cheering over his success. 
The author's persistent use of figurative language as well as descriptive word choice vividly describe Eddie's scenario, and guide the reader deeper into the story. 
It is guaranteed that each turn of a page will leave you more and more on the edge of your seat as you follow Eddie on his adventure of love, loss, and the true meaning of survival.