Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

The book opens in the early seventeenth century when Lockwood rents Thrushcross Grange, he visits his landlord Mr Heathcliff who lives in Wuthering Heights, and stuck there during the snow, is grudgingly allowed to stay the night over. He is shown to a room where he notices books possibly left by the former resident, a Catherine. He falls asleep and has a nightmare where he envisions a ghost trying to enter through the window. He shrieks in fear, causing Heathcliff to rush to the room, where both he and Lockwood are convinced that what he saw was real and that it was Catherine's ghost. Heathcliff then shows him his own room to sleep in and he goes back to monitor the window. The next day, Heathcliff escorts Lockwood back to Thrushcross Grange. Lockwood asks the housekeeper, Nelly Dean, about the former residents and Nelly tells him.

30 years prior, Mr Earnshaw, a wealthy man, and father of two children; a son: Hindley, the first, and Catherine (nicknamed Cathy). The live in a successful family with Nelly Dean as the house-keeper. Mr Earnshaw notices a young boy on his way to Liverpool who is seemingly homeless and described as 'a dark-skinned gypsy in aspect', and in his kindness, takes him in. Earnshaw decides to name him Heathcliff. When they get home, he is introduced to the other children as their sibling, but Hindley is bitter at his father's kindness and develops a dislike for the young lad because he feels his father loves Heathcliff more than him . He tries to infect Catherine with his hate, but this plan goes awry. Hindley harasses Heathcliff continuously as he is a gypsy boy and illiterate. This causes Mr. Earnshaw to send Hindley to college.

Earnshaw dies three years later. Hindley returns as master of the house with a wife, Frances. He forces Heathcliff to become a servant. One day, the two decide to go and spy on Edgar and Isabella Linton at Thrushold Grange. While there, they are caught, and in the process of running away and Cathy is bitten severely by a dog. Edgar sends Heathcliff with word that Cathy was bitten and will stay at Thrushold Grange to recuperate. When Cathy arrives back, hale and hearty, Heathcliff is dismayed to see that she has changed, it is evident that she is more ladylike and she laughs at Heathcliff's being unkempt. Knowing that the Lintons would visit the next day, Heathcliff dresses to impress, but he and Edgar get into an argument and Hindley humiliates him by locking him in the attic. Catherine tries to comfort him, but Heathcliff promises payback!

The following year, Frances gives birth to a son: Hareton and dies a few months later, sending Hindley into drunkenness. Two years fly by and Cathy is drawn closer to Edgar and farther from Heathcliff. Once, he was drawn into an argument between Nelly and Cathy and decides to leave, but Cathy stops him and before long, the profess love for each other. Cathy tells Nelly that Edgar proposed and she accepted, despite the face that it is Heathcliff she loves. She claims she can't marry him because of his class and status and hopes to use her marriage to raise his standing. Heathcliff hears this and flees without a trace.

Three years later, the couple get married. Six months later, a wealthy Heathcliff visits Thruscross Grange and Cathy is thrilled, Edgar, not so much. Isabella falls for Heathcliff, who doesn't love her, but in a vengeful manner encourages her infatuation, this brings up an argument between Isabella and Edgar. Heathcliff, while residing at the heights, gambles with Hindley and teaches his son bad habits. Hindley is forced to mortgage the farmhouse to Heathcliff to pay off his debts. Heathcliff elopes with Isabella, she now becomes his wife and two months later, they return to the heights. He then find out that Cathy is ill and pregnant, with Nelly's help, he secretly visits her. She dies the next day after she gives birth to Catherine Linton Jr.

The day after Cathy's funeral, Isabella leaves a now brutal Heathcliff for south England, she too is pregnant. Hindley dies six months after this sister, leaving his adopted brother the sole owner of the heights. Twelve years later, Cathy (Jr.) is a fine young lady, and her father has left to retrieve his nephew, Linton, after learning that Isabella is dying. Cathy uses this opportunity to wonder further into the moor. She discovers Hareton and finds out that he is her cousin. She also learns about the heights. When Edgar returns with a rather sickly Linton, Cathy wants him to stay at the grange but Heathcliff wants him in the heights. Three years pass, and Nelly and Cathy meet Heathcliff who takes them to the heights to meet Hareton and Linton. Linton and Cathy begin a secret relationship, much to Heathcliff's happiness. He hopes the two get married so he can become heir to the grange. When Cathy's father is very ill, and she and Nelly visit the heights, they are locked in and Cathy is told that she must marry Linton before her release. Nelly is released five days later and with Linton's help, Cathy escapes to see her father just before he dies. Heathcliff is now master of the heights and the grange. He then forces Cathy to live in the heights, and soon after she arrives, Linton dies.

This is when Lockwood arrives and Nelly's tale ends. After being ill for some time on the moors, He decides to travel to the heights and tell his landlord that he was going south of England. Given his tenancy still valid, he returns to the grange eight months later, but finds Nelly has moved to the heights. He questions this and finds that she replaced the housekeeper there, Hareton had an accident and was confined to the farmhouse. During his convalescence, he and Cathy begin a budding relationship. Heathcliff begins to act strangely and is found dead in Cathy's (Sr.) old room four days later. He is buried beside Cathy. He hears that Cathy and Hareton plan to marry on new years day, and contemplates the quietness of the moors as he passes the graves of Cathy, Edgar and Heathcliff.