Dirty Red by Tarryn Fisher | Teen Ink

Dirty Red by Tarryn Fisher

August 18, 2013
By EmAngster00 SILVER, Calavi, Other
EmAngster00 SILVER, Calavi, Other
5 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
""You can’t be like me
But be happy that you cant
I see pain but I don’t feel it
I am like the old Tin Man.” - Tin Man, The Avett Brothers


Now this book was just completely out of the ordinary. I have never before read a book that could elicit so many CONTRADICTORY reactions from me vis-a-vis just ONE character! Needless to say, Tarryn Fisher’s talent is truly one of a kind. Her novel really makes readers not only think, but also react strongly to how the plot languidly unfolds. It is IMPOSSIBLE to stay passive as you read this book. Whether you want it to or not, things will get to you and make you so angry, frustrated, sad, understanding, sorry and whatnot.
On one hand, I would recommend this book to those who like action and twisted plots whose unravelling leave your head spinning round and round. (Literally).While reading it, I can honestly say that I cried (as usual), got angry, pleaded and tried to reason with the main narrator of the book, Leah. What really surprised me was how Tarryn Fisher made me hate and be disgusted with Leah; but at the same time, there were times when I felt so sorry for her. The novel really brought to life the darkest and most deceitful sides that humans can have. Leah, also known as ‘Red’ will stop at nothing to get the man she wants, Caleb. And Caleb, will stop at nothing to get the woman he wants, Olivia. Even when Leah and Caleb end up getting married, the masquerade continues. It was a love triangle that brought to life the pain one feels when rejected by the one you truly love; and in a way, it was utterly heart-wrenching. At first, Leah is easily black-listed because of her utter shallow coarseness, and her need to manipulate others just to have what she wants. Caleb seems to be the innocent victim of her ploys but as time goes on...shocking truths are revealed and in the end, it is hard to find the line between “good” and “bad”.

However, if you are looking for a romantic book with a happy and satisfactory ending...well don’t even bother with this book because it will give you none of those.

“Some people never change. I guess I’m one of them.” – Yes, that is how her book ends!

Tarryn Fisher clearly does not mess around. What I admired most about this book is the fact that she had the courage to write it in the first place...without a happy ending! Indeed, I was deceived that the book ended in such a way but I was also quite impressed. It made me want to know what would happen next. I was impressed with the fact that Tarryn Fisher did not try to sell a sappy, love story. No. She stuck to “real life” and gave us a healthy reminder of what life is really all about. As truth be said, in real life, things don’t always end with a Happily-Ever-After. In real life, there are deceptions, pain, tears... that we have no choice but to deal with because truth is, life just happens. And it comes with the good and the bad and all we can do is be taken away by the current, and hope to survive.

Even though the fundamental theme of the book was love, Tarryn shows how one cannot really call ‘love’ love when one is actually obsessed with someone. She makes the line between obsession and love quite clear and defined. Through Leah, we see how easy it is to make someone your sole fixation not really out of true love, but because of insecurities so grounded in one’s flesh. Honestly, I both loved and hated this book. It was a complete whirlwind of emotions right from the first page where Leah gives birth to her baby but does not show any compassion towards her. The first thing we think is, why would this be the case? Why would she be so cold-hearted to her newborn baby? And as time goes by and we drink in (quite literally) the plot that Tarryn Fisher so impressively put together, we come to understand her reasons for many of her actions. Even though we aren’t necessarily pleased by them.
The book mostly manages to keep our unwavering interest because of how Tarryn makes continual flashbacks; leaving the reader eager and quite desperate to know what happened BEFORE and what will happen LATER. I have to say, not many books manage to keep up such a double suspense going; so once again, cheers to the author for such an accomplishment! What I also find quite admirable is that no matter how much Tarryn Fisher makes us loathe Leah, we can distinctly identify to many parts of her at different times. Fisher plays on both our sensitivity and sentimental states to bring out compassion from us towards Leah...even though we hate her as well.
Once again, if you are looking for a book packed with action, you will not be disappointed. This book was so adventurous and action-filled without even being an adventure book. I was simply unable t drop it until I had devoured every single page; and even when I was forced to drop it, my mind was stuck on the characters and the twisted, surprising plot. Even though we may quickly choose sides and decide who is evil and who is not...the ending makes us doubt the previous decisions and judgements we may have made. It leaves us feeling both accomplished somehow, deceived, maybe even angry, satisfied in an unsatisfactory way and most of all... desperate to know what will happen next.


The author's comments:
This book is sure to hurl you on an unexpected roller coaster of emotions. Believe it or not, it is impossible to read it without vigorously reacting to its content! For those who like a book that is upbeat...you will not be deceived.