The Kite Runner | Teen Ink

The Kite Runner

August 5, 2013
By Jordynballard BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Jordynballard BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is the book that I read for my summer assignment. I found the book very interesting, it opened my eyes and helped me realize that there are places in this world that are a lot simpler and are a lot more dangerous than America. I found this book frightening because of certain events that happened to the characters. Realizing that events that happened in this book actually happened to innocent people, is a horrible thought.

Anybody that is interested in other cultures or interested in finding out what really happened to people in Afghanistan when the Soviet Union invaded, should definitely read this book. The Kite Runner is based off of facts and really gives you a description of what was happening to these people. The Kite Runner could be a rather gruesome book for some readers. I do believe that it was a dark, twisted dose of reality. I do think that this book was more educational than anything. I think that it would be a good idea for any high school English class to read this book.

This book is not only hard to put down but it is also full of surprises. While you are reading you think you know what is going to happen next but then the opposite happens. It is shocking and there are parts of the book that are a little disappointing. I found myself getting attached to the characters in the book, if a character died I would be sad or if a character had an exciting moment then I would be happy for them. The author did a good job at drawing readers into this story.

One thing that I would have changed about The Kite Runner would have to be the pace of the book. It is extremely slow all throughout the book. If anything, it’s a story with not much going on until you get towards the end, that’s when things really start to pick up and become interesting. I would tell readers to keep reading the book no matter how bored they get in the beginning, it’s worth the wait because the end is extremely good. I would recommend this book to anybody our age or older. It was an emotional but fun book that is worth reading. After reading this book I have a better understanding of why the United States liberated the citizens of Afghanistan from the Taliban.