The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa | Teen Ink

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa MAG

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

Wow. Cute little Ethan is all grown up and has gone punk … sort of. After years of hiding from the Fey, he's developed a surly attitude and a bad reputation that acts as a wall between him and the human race. Plus his hair's all spiky and his ears are pierced. Like I said, sort of punk. But he's still cute. On his first day at a new school (he kind of accidentally set the last one on fire), he runs straight into trouble in the form of a bullied half-phouka. And so the adventure begins.

I love all the new characters in this latest book in the Call of the Forgotten series: Kenzie, who worms her way past Ethan's snarkiness by sheer force of will and stubbornly refuses to give up on him; Todd, who's a little peculiar but quite promising, and Keirran. Oh, Keirran, I don't know what to think of you. All I can tell so far is that anything to do with him promises to be very interesting – and he has a marvelous pet, the entertainingly random gremlin named Razor. It is also lovely to see old friends again – Meghan, Puck, Grimalkin, and brief glimpses of Ash. Can you virtually hug fictional characters?

This book is as beautifully written as Julie Kagawa's previous novels, perfectly swirled with rich descriptions and dark secrets. The Nevernever has become even more wondrous and dangerous than ever, if such a thing is possible.

I would recommend this book to all and sundry, though it is a good idea to read the Iron Fey series first, even though The Lost Prince is technically the beginning of a new trilogy. I must warn you that this book spoils some of the plot of the film “Serenity” (it ticked off my sister when she read it, but I loved the fact that Ethan is a “Firefly” fan).