Nation by Terry Pratchett | Teen Ink

Nation by Terry Pratchett

By Georgemoran SILVER, Gloucestershire, Other
Georgemoran SILVER, Gloucestershire, Other

When it rains- it pours; they have money for wars, but can’t feed the poor

Alone on a desert island — everything and everyone he is accustomed to and loved has been snatched away in a storm — Mau is the last survivor of his nation. He’s completely independent all of a sudden — or so he was lead to believe until a ghost girl reveals herself. This being is one of no toes, one of exquisitely quaint fashion sense and gives him the power of fire

Daphne, sole survivor of the wreck of the Sweet Judy-, instantly looks down upon her attempt to shoot the native boy. It is the ironic fortune of the wet gunpowder which stopped bloodshed. She’s convinced her Royal father will come and salvage her from this isle but it seems, for the foreseeable future, that all she has for company is the boy and the foul-mouthed ship’s parrot. Together, Mau and Daphne uncover some unfathomably exciting skills (including how to milk a pig, and why spitting in beer is far from remissive), and how to resurrect a dismantled nation.

Themes of death and patriotism live deep within the pages of this book but the sincerity is beautifully acted on by the wit and wisdom of the master that is Terry Pratchett. Mau’s ancestors provide a basis by which we can all learn from. In my opinion it also presents a crisp metaphor of the harsh storm ruining the civilized state of the nation- the cleanest explanation of imperialism there is. Mau is determined and determination yields success- he will continue saving people from the elemental force of the sea!