Twilight vs. Harry Potter | Teen Ink

Twilight vs. Harry Potter

October 2, 2008
By e.nadeem PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
e.nadeem PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
37 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer is a series of four books, namely Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. The first was released in 2003, and the last in 2008. They have been a big hit in the market, yet still the number of fans is not that great as compared to another eminent series of our time, Harry Potter. This contains seven books, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Chamber of Secrets, the Prisoner of Azkaban, the Goblet of Fire, the Order of the Phoenix, the Half Blood Prince and last yet not least, the Deathly Hallows.

There are many, many fans that, being previously die hard Harry Potter fans, are now in more favor of Twilight. I don’t agree with that. It does not even begin to compare. Harry Potter had a total of more than 375 million fans, according to the number of copies sold, whilst the Twilight series has a mere 10 million fans. True, it’s a huge number, but I dare you to try and compare it to Harry Potter.
I’m not saying I am not a Twilight fan. I love it, to tell the truth. Yet, I can not agree that it is better than Harry Potter.
Let’s take a look at the characters. In Harry Potter, JK Rowling has gone through so many details to get the reader to know and love the characters. They’re descriptions are so in depth, that they feel so real. In Twilight, though, all Stephenie Meyer does is tell about how extraordinarily “beautiful” each character is. For God’s sakes, she makes the main points of the character their beauty, and in Bella Swan’s case, smell. How is that so great? In the Harry Potter series, you can actually begin to love the characters reading about their personality, not just how beautiful they look and you don’t fall in love with them because they smell so great.

The plot again is a major factor. JK Rowling has spent so much time and she has looked so far ahead in the story since 17 years, that it is completely amazing, a miracle. Her story is so unpredictable, that it is something that nothing, let alone Twilight can compare with. In Twilight, focusing on the first book for instance, it is so expected, that you can almost guess what happens. It is so obvious, Bella falls in love with Edward, Edward falls in love with Bella, someone tries to kill her and her life is saved by none other than . . . Edward. Was that so hard? Also, doesn’t Stephenie Meyer spend about four hundred pages in each book describing how helplessly they are in love with each other? There is hardly any story, for God’s sakes, and although it is a good read, who can deny the fact that it does get awfully boring at some parts?
Twilight is a fine read, and yeah, I, among many fans, actually like it. But why compare it to Harry Potter, when it does not even begin to compare?

If we look at the books from the fictional view, it’s true that neither JK Rowling, nor Stephenie Meyer made up the creatures, being vampires and wizards/witches. On the other hand, the way JK Rowling has made up the characters, and the places such as Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Ministry of Magic, Azkaban, etc., you can almost believe that Hogwarts is real. The story is so real and there is so much description and action in the depths of it that, well, the lousy town, forest and school of Twilight can not compete. The characters are fake, yet so real in Harry Potter. Although in Twilight, it is the same old story of vampires that has been passed through the ages; the only different thing is that the vampire falls in love with a human – big deal! I would recommend a book, A.K.A. Harry Potter, where the author does not describe the “impossible beauty” of the character after every three lines!

On the whole, yeah, Twilight is an excellent series, you could say. The thing is Harry Potter is better, and when it does not even begin to compare, what’s the use of saying such stuff that Twilight is better? It’s an argument long lost, and no matter how many more compliments I hear about it, I will never ever loose my unending love for the Harry Potter series.