Paper Towns by John Green

Quentin Jacobsen from whose perspective the novel is narrated, can be best described as an average high-schooler, at least until THE Margo Roth Spiegelman decided to include him in her cleverly planned take-revenge-before-you-ditch-them campaign. Q, as he is lovingly known, is a sweet and easily relatable person who enjoys life as it comes and goes, gossiping and joking around with friends, and well adoring Margo, the parallel lead, from afar. He is bored with the routine of life but like most of us, he enjoys it to the risk of living in the moment. Margo, on the other hand, (at first at least) appears to be the exact opposite. She drags him out on a fateful night and they together spend, in Q’s own words, one “helluva night”. I do not want the spoil for you the most fun part of the book which is arguably this midnight adventure. You just have to read the book and live the craziness and anxiety with Q. But after this night, Margo disappears. And Quentin, ditching his stay-away-from-trouble motto, sets to find her on the basis of some clues that she seems to have left for him.
Throughout the developments in the story when Q manages to dig out clues, he is left confused as to the depths and implications of Margo’s words. The truthful and realistic portrayal of the confusion Q feels and the lessons he learns as he grows day by day in understanding life, makes this novel close-to-heart. Some may call it a philosophical novel but what it does is to hold a mirror to the tangled emotions of anxiety, fear and above all hope of an ordinary boy drawn into a mystery. Then there are the metaphors to life, especially Whitman’s Leaves of Grass. I saw it as a funny take-on the theme – Individuality. Q tries hard to infer the poem but he is unable to fully grasp what the poet meant. He tries to look at it with Margo’s and Whitman’s perspective but for long does not seem to get anywhere. The poem is a very much integral part of the story as it influences Q’s insights.
And just to keep the suspense going - does Q manage to find Margo? Read the book to find out.

maelstrom14 said...
today at 12:46 pm:
I loved paper towns when i read it!!! im re reading it now, its cool to find someone who has also read it.  

vartikasingh said...
today at 1:46 am:
u rock buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PhiliaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 10:56 am :
Thanks!!!!