The Alchemyst by Michael Scott | Teen Ink

The Alchemyst by Michael Scott

By ChrisTheReader BRONZE, Melbourne, Other
ChrisTheReader BRONZE, Melbourne, Other

The Alchemyst by Michael Scott is widely mistaken to be affiliated with J.K. Rowling and her Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. This angers myself and many others. Nicholas Flamel was a real person, and many theories surround his death, whether his death actually happened is debatable. This is what the book is about.

The book follows Sophie and Josh, twin sister and brother working in a coffee shop and book store across the street from each other. When Dr. John Dee arrives at the book store, demanding the Codex, or the Book of Abraham the Mage, they get pulled into something they never expected. They are on a wild chase to protect the world from Dr. John Dee and his mischievous plans to release the Elders - the models on which many gods are based - from hiding, and take over the world.

I loved this book. The originality was soundless and exquisite. Never before have I read a book that puts a fantasy spin on such historical characters, the series later introduces William Shakespeare as a character, and no, he is not a time-traveller. The plot is terrific, and the entire 400 page novel takes place over the span of three or four days, with two major settings.

I have one problem with the book though - some of the believability of the characters was flawed. Some reactions in pressurised situations were too quick or had the character doing something they normally wouldn't. Considering this, I also had a great relationship with the characters, I understood them, and I felt like I knew them in a weird and wacky kind of way.

I'd recommend this book to kids as young as 10, as long as they are an avid reader and like the genre, they should have no problem with it. There are no inappropriate themes or dialogue in the book, or any of its sequels for that matter.

I give this book a solid 3.5 stars, and to be honest, I prefer it's sequel books (well, that's unusual!)

The Alchemyst provides a new spin on historical figures - some as famous as Machiavelli and Shakespeare, and most importantly, Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel.