Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver | Teen Ink

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver MAG

May 2, 2013
By Danielle3212 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Danielle3212 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver reflects everyday events that happen in high school. Its plot deals with many serious topics – most predominantly, bullying.

Samantha Kingston is in the popular group at her school, and although she thinks she has it all, this is far from true. One night, as she and her friends are driving home from a party, they get into an accident. She wakes up the next day, reliving the previous day, although she has actually died. For the next ­seven days, Sam lives this fateful day over and over again.

During these seven days, Sam starts to notice the way she was treating others, and she begins to see her mistakes. Once each day ends, she finds ways to fix the problem during the next day. By the time the seven days are up, Sam has become a new and better person because she had the chance to learn from her mistakes.

The author does an amazing job ­describing human nature and the everyday events that teenagers face, which makes the story appealing to high school students. Oliver shows that, although some people seem to be perfect, everyone has flaws.

Oliver's writing gives the reader a clear image of what is going on. The story goes straight to the point. Not only does this book appeal to my thoughts on bullying, but it also provides us with more knowledge of the severe effects bullying has on people. Bullying is a major problem, and this book shows what needs to change. Oliver doesn't hold back while showing the good and bad in people and our society, and that's what intrigued me the most throughout the book.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 2 comments.


on Sep. 10 2013 at 11:48 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Oh and by the way, I forgot to say this in my last comment but, congrats on getting this published in the magazine! That's awesome! Keep up the great work!

on Sep. 10 2013 at 11:47 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Great review! I actually have that book and I heard it was good. This review confirmed that and was well written. P.S. Thanks for not including any spoilers in this review. It totally ruins the surprise for people who haven't read the book, so thank you for not spoiling it. Great job!!