Book Critique on The Last Dragon Slayer | Teen Ink

Book Critique on The Last Dragon Slayer

By hectormajul BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
hectormajul BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

The Last Dragon Slayer is a book filled with magical humor and adventure. It captured my attention right away, mostly because of how peculiar things are in the book. From bizarre character names to weird creatures, The Last Dragon Slayer is a fun fiction. When people think about wizard stories, they usually imagine a wizard fighting against evil creatures just like “Harry Potter”. However, in this story, the concept of magic is inundated throughout the story. People are surrounded by magic, yet ironically, they fail to realize the magical presence surrounding their everyday lives.
In the novel, people do not seem to care about magic anymore and what is funny about this, is that the people I am talking about in this book live among trolls and dragons. I guess it is kind of silly to not have an interest in magic when the society is filled with magical creatures. I connected with this book due to the impressive plot and enhanced character analysis. I especially connected with the main character, Jennifer Strange, because we share many personal beliefs. It was amazing to see the way she coped with the prophecy of her becoming the last dragon slayer. One would think that a sixteen year girl could never fulfill such a huge responsibility to kill a dragon, but instead Jennifer embraced it and assumed her obligation. I really admired the way she was able to go about in the book, always with a positive attitude and open minded to anything people said to her. The book also portrays friendship and loyalty with the Quakerbeast. Some of you might be wondering what that is, and I would spoil it if I told you. All I can say is that this creature is Jennifer’s best friend that sticks with her through thick and thin. I believe this gives great insight on human nature because it shows how relationships can develop between even the most opposite personalities. The underlying theme of friendship is incorporated into the story to add greater depth to the book.
The Last Dragon Slayer is a great fantasy book that has a great message. It teaches you to always believe in yourself just like Jen did. This book inspires confidence in oneself and overall courage. In the novel The Last Dragon Slayer, it did not matter if the task was bigger than her, Jen was determined to succeed. She stood up for what she believed in through all the twists and turns in the book and she fulfilled the prophecy. The series is not completed yet, and it leaves you wondering what will happen next, but the sequel is coming out soon.