Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin

How would you react if you died at the “pitiful” age of fifteen due to a hit-and-run? That is, if you could react to such a circumstance at all. Liz Hall, the protagonist of Gabrielle Zevin’s novel Elsewhere, faces this challenge in her after-life in the heaven-like land called Elsewhere. Moreover, she must deal with the fact that she will never grow up to accomplish all her dreams and pursuits like any other teenage dream such as, attending college, receiving your driver’s license, dating a myriad of people then eventually getting married. Furthermore to her dismay, life in Elsewhere goes counter-clockwise; that is, backwards. Therefore, she will turn 14 again and never become 16 as she desires with all her heart.

Forced to reside with a grandmother she barely knew on earth, Liz faces her new “life” with bitterness. However, as time will progress, she learns to be optimistic of her new life along with the aid of another murdered 16-year-old named Thandi and Curtis Jest, an overdosed junkie and band member of her favorite band Machine. In addition, she begins to develop feelings for Owen Wells, a reserved 17-year-old, who has been dead for 9 years.

Things, however, become awkward in Elsewhere for Liz as Owen’s wife unexpectedly arrives at Elsewhere. In addition, to make things more uncomfortable or rather worse, Liz’s killer too arrives at Elsewhere. Should she forgive the man who killed her when life was beginning to bloom for her...or not…even, if she unravels the truth behind her sudden death?

Gabrielle Zevin presents a case in Elsewhere that undoubtedly we have all asked ourselves one time or another: Is there an after-life, and if so what is it like? Zevin’s prose is simple—everyday speech—and never supercilious; nonetheless entertaining. The plot flows smoothly page after page. Additionally, she adds some humor to lighten the novel’s seemingly somber mood. Elsewhere is original and poignant, offering much to meditate and discuss after finishing the novel.

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:10 am:
I absolutly adore this book, its one of my favorites, so thanks for bringing Zevins genius to light. You gave the plot a fun and inviting feel except with that hint of darkness and wonder. Bravo!

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:25 pm :
Thank you so much. I thought no one had really heard let alone read this novel. Zevin, I feel, is unappreciated. But, I guess, she does have a number of dedicated followers. Thank you so much again. 

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:17 pm :
Your welcome, it really was a great review. I recommended the book to my class. Have you read any of her other books? They are pretty good too.

Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:42 pm :
I'll admit that I haven't read any of her other works. *Sorry* But do you have any personal favorites that i should read? I'll definitely check them out if you reccomend them to me.

Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:59 am :
Her book All These Things I've Done is really good. Maybe if u read it and like it u can write an awesome review again!  

Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:28 pm :
I'm already liking the sound of that. And thank you for thinking this review was awesome although I was bummed out I didn't get the Editors' Choice. Oh, well. 

Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:13 pm :
You may have not gotten an editors choice, something I wish I had also, but u did win the prestigious Laugh award. Created by one Laugh-it-Out. Lol just be happy that someone likes it as much as I do :)

Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:26 pm :
Sweet! That's sounds awesome.