The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

January 26, 2013
By mariahteneal38 BRONZE, Brush Prairie, Washington
mariahteneal38 BRONZE, Brush Prairie, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Hungry for The Hunger Games
In 2000, about 1,561 youth under the age of 18 were arrested for homicide. In The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, a novel about a treacherous government “game” in which 24 teenagers viciously fight each other to death until only one is crowned victor, teenagers who commit homicide aren’t arrested but encouraged. Anyone who enjoys audacious novels should read The Hunger Games because of the distinguished characters, perplexing plot, ravishing setting, and exceptional point of view.
First, anyone who likes pleasant book should read the The Hunger Games because the characters are interesting and unique. The main character, Katniss, is a survivor which makes her personality amusing to read about. On page 6 Collins wrote, “Gale says I never smile except in the woods." This shows that she loves hunting and can only be herself in the woods. Another quote on page 24 talking about Katniss’ trainer, Haymitch says, “He’s disgusting, but I’m grateful.” This is when the highly intoxicated Haymitch falls off of the stage after Katniss volunteers to take her sister’s spot in the games. The fantastic characters are one reason readers should unravel The Hunger Games.
Second, anyone looking for a real page turner needs to read this book because of the plot. The way Collins leaves each chapter as a cliff-hanger makes the novel hard to put down. For instance to end the first chapter she writes, “It’s Primrose Everdeen” (Collins 24). It was almost impossible for Katniss’ sister, Primrose, to be chosen, but she was anyway. This leaves the reader thinking about what Katniss will do next and how she will react. Also, at the end of the book it says, “I am pleased to present the victors of the seventy-fourth Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark” (345). The fact that there were two winners of the games is unpredictable because for 73 years there was only one winner. One who is looking for a great story must read The Hunger Games because of its surprising plot.
Next, adventure-seekers should read The Hunger Games because the fascinating setting of North America hundreds of years from now. District 12 of a country called Panam, where Katniss lives is very poor; however, most of the people living in the Capitol have more money than they know what to do with. On page 42 it says, “The tribute train is fancier than even the room in the Justice Building." Considering Katniss grew up in the poverty of the Seam she has never been to anywhere as wealthy as the Capitol which is engaging because the reader gets to experience the new technology and extreme cultural differences with her. Another part says, “The shower alone has a panel with more than 100 options you can choose” (75). This is interesting to think about because she went from no hot showers to a totally new futuristic shower that isn’t even around today. The surreal setting in the future is proof that people who like tremendous books ought to read this novel.
Finally, book enthusiasts must read The Hunger Games because Collins wrote the book through the main character, Katniss’, eyes. Seeing everything in first person made it easy to relate to Katniss and cheer for her throughout the novel. On page 6 it says, “In the woods waits the only person with whom I can be myself." This really shows the connection Katniss has with Gale, her best friend, and tells the reader how she really feels about him. In another part when Gale suggests running away with Katniss, Collins writes, “How could I leave Prim, who is the only person in the world I’m certain I love?” (10). When the reader sees how much Prim, Katniss’ sister, means to her it helps them to sympathise with her when Prim gets chosen in the reaping. Those who like to connect to the story should read this book because of the compelling first person point of view.
To sum it up, for anyone who loves adventure, action, drama, and romance, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a phenomenal book for you. The unique and well-developed characters like Katniss and Haymitch makes it interesting to read. Another aspect that makes this book great is the suspenseful plot. The futuristic setting put an unusual spin on the novel. Seeing the story play out through the main character’s eyes is intriguing. If you’re ever looking for a captivating book to read, consider The Hunger Games.

Works Cited
Collins, Suzanne. The Hunger Games. New York: Scholastic Press, 2008. Print.