<i>Curveball</i> by Jordan Sonnenblick | Teen Ink

Curveball by Jordan Sonnenblick MAG

January 3, 2013
By NWphotography BRONZE, Cusseta, Georgia
NWphotography BRONZE, Cusseta, Georgia
2 articles 21 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Volunteers do not work for free because they are worthless, it is because they are priceless”
-Unknown

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take" -Wayne Gretsky

"Oop! The Moment! Once you miss it, it is gone forever!" -Henri Cartier-Bresson


Okay, let's be real. I'm a photographer, not a writer. On the other hand, I can't pass up the chance to give credit to a book that inspired me. Please give a round of applause to Jordan Sonnenblick, the author who put my passion on paper.

After a long, unbearable ­recovery from an injured elbow and a hideous scar, Peter Friedman begins high school with little hope. Since his surgery, he hasn't been his normal self. His first day of high school ends with Peter meeting the girl of his dreams in his photography class.

Peter continues to shield her eyes from the unwavering fact that he will never be able to play baseball again and his grandfather (and best friend) may have a disease that makes him forget.

Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip made me want to, I don't know, take better photos? It's hard to explain what I'm trying to say. Maybe it was the way the author described how crisp and perfect Peter and ­Angelika's photos are. Maybe (to add a personal touch) it's the chemistry in Pete's relationship. They can work ­together flawlessly, and receive incredible results. Could it be the combination of sports and photography in one book? Maybe greatness is not something that can always be ­described.


The author's comments:
I desperately hope for people to grasp the tender truthfulness of how deep this novel lodged itself into my heart.