The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By LillieTang SILVER, P Sherman, Nebraska
LillieTang SILVER, P Sherman, Nebraska

The Hunger Games vs. Divergent
The Hunger Games, a highly popular trilogy; by Suzanne Collins, has captivated audiences everywhere. There has been a film adaptation of The Hunger Games, the first book in the trilogy, and Catching Fire, the second book, is currently being made into a movie. The movies of the trilogy have heightened the popularity of The Hunger Games. I have read this trilogy and believe it is the best series I have ever read.
That is, until I discovered the book Divergent by Veronica Roth. Divergent is rumored to be the next Hunger Games and is also being made into a movie, alleged to be released in 2014. The book is extremely popular and intriguing. One could even argue that The Hunger Games and Divergent are equally popular and adored. However, one may outshine the other. Will Divergent replace The Hunger Games or will The Hunger Games reign over Divergent?

The Hunger Games and Divergent are very similar because both books include a very powerful government. The Hunger Games has an extremely authoritative government known as the capitol. Surrounding the capitol are twelve districts that make up the majority of Panem's, where the beginning of the book takes place, population. The resources the Capitol has are all products made by the twelve districts.

In Divergent, the government is not quite as powerful because it is a democracy instead of a dicatorshi. However, there is one main boundary in the democracy of Divergent that creates a significant lack of freedom. The government in Divergent is split into five factions: Amity, the peaceful; Dauntless, the brave; Candor, the honest; Abnegation, the selfless; and Erudite, the intelligent. The Erudite faction has the most power out of the five factions since it is the main source of intelligence. The most limiting characteristic of this democracy is, once you choose a faction at the age of sixteen,you stay there for life, much like the caste system in Hinduism.

The Hunger Games features a love triangle between the main characters Katniss, Gale, and Peeta. This part of the book is alluring for those who enjoy romance novels. However, it may repel readers who prefer action--type novels. Divergent does not include a love triangle but it does contain a substantial amount of romance between main characters Tris and Four.

Another way The Hunger Games and Divergent resemble each other is the main plot of both is to overthrow a form of power. In The Hunger Games trilogy, the citizens of the districts unite enough to plan a successful rebellion to bring down the Capitol. In Divergent ,the people of the factions, not including Amity, want to strip the erudite faction of its power. Also, due to the rebellions that take place, death is a prominent element in both books.

Clearly The Hunger Games and Divergent are very similar yet differ in several ways. Because The Hunger Games involves a lot of romance Divergent may be favored more. However, Divergent might attract a larger audience than The Hunger Games because its focus is more on action rather than the romance. I have read both books and find them both to be favorites of mine. However, if I had to choose one over the other, I would have to pick Divergent because death doesn’t occur as much as it does in The Hunger Games, making it less upsetting. I also enjoy the fact that it doesn’t focus on the romance between Tris and Four.