The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan | Teen Ink

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan MAG

By amandalewe SILVER, Chantilly, Virginia
amandalewe SILVER, Chantilly, Virginia

“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!”—Audrey Hepburn
"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"—Vincent Van Gogh
"Failure is success if you learn from it."—Malcolm Forbes

Did you know that cows eat corn and cow brain instead of grass? Did you know that potatoes are so deadly that farmers have to store them for six months after they're harvested because of the chemicals they're sprayed with? These are two facts I learned from the first ten pages of The Omnivore's Dilemma. Michael Pollan delves into the corrupt food industry and isn't afraid to reveal the ugly and sometimes disturbing truth. This New York Times bestseller made me rethink the food I put into my body.

Pollan travels across America to the three major food sources: commercial corporations, organic commercial corporations, and family-run farms, showing readers the drastic differences between them. He describes how corn took over our food industry and how we can change our lifestyle to fight obesity. Pollan experiences hunting and gathering to slaughtering a cow on a commercial farm. This nonfiction book is great for readers who are ready for the challenge of changing their food choices.

Although it is long, I highly recommend this book. It will open your eyes and make you look at food in a completely new way. I feel much more educated to make healthy decisions after reading The Omnivore's Dilemma.