Confessions of a Shopaholic | Teen Ink

Confessions of a Shopaholic

August 9, 2008
By Kelseybreanne GOLD, Loganville, Georgia
Kelseybreanne GOLD, Loganville, Georgia
10 articles 1 photo 3 comments

Confessions of a Shopaholic is a funny and exciting book by Sophie Kinsella. It takes you through all of the mishaps and shopping excursions of Becky Bloomwood. She is like Amelia Bedelia for the modern age. Becky Bloomwood always seems to find herself in the most pressing yet hilarious situations. She has borrowed money from anyone and everyone she can find that will lend it, and she just can't stop spending. She has decided to cut back and save money, so she buys a book that she knows will help her. After trying the “saving money thing” for a little while, she decides that she just can't take it anymore. She comes up with a seemingly brilliant idea to dispose of all the letters from collection agencies and simply not pay her bills anymore. Did I mention that she works as a “financial journalist?” Becky finds herself writing a huge article exposing a large company's scamming tactics and through it all manages to land a role as a financial advisor on a TV show. Becky is probably one of the worst spenders of all time, yet she continues to pursue a career in finances. She hates her job, yet she continues to do it. It is a comical romance. Of course the romance part doesn't really come into play until the near end. It is most definitely a must-read book.