The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Although at one time I worshiped this book (yes, it really was my bible), I still love it as the first literary work to open my eyes. I believe I changed after reading this book, but not wholeheartedly in my actions.

Ayn Rand paints an accurate portrait of the various types of people in this world. She skillfully maneuvers the villains and unleashes their feelings and thoughts. But most impressively, she creates a character so powerful in mindset and so swift in skill that he has become a universal wonder. Howard Roark is Rand's vision of a flawless human. He is persistent, confident, and ready to condemn evil despite dire personal consequences. The reader cannot help but ­follow his impeccable path to a life of satisfaction, integrity, and freedom.

Whether the reader yearns for an end to traditional architecture, like Roark, or just a path to independence, The Fountainhead is a must-read. Rand's philosophies are applicable to every person and every profession.

Recently, I have embraced the criticism that comes with this book. And yet we all need books like this to open young minds and philosophies to build our foundation upon. So for all of that, this book still remains one of my all-time favorites and is a must-read for all adolescents.

suhaunah713 said...
Yeah, I haven't read this book, but I have read some other work of Ayn Rand, and while she can broach some interesting subjects, none of her characters are relatable. They are too perfect. So perfect, in fact, that they can't even really be called human.

ael429 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm:
I think this is a well-written review. I like your enthusiasm about the book. I haven't embraced The Fountainhead yet, although I tried. You make me want to give it another go...maybe.

cb said...
May 6, 2009 at 7:27 am:
This book has such a different perspective on everything, man worship etc... theres a neat website at www.theefountainhead.com that explains the book in more detail

Joseph Kellard said...
Dec. 31, 2008 at 11:41 am:
Brittany,

I second your recommendation of Ayn Rand's classic novel "The Fountainhead." I was in my 20s when I first picked up the book and was totally captured by Howard Roark. I soon went on to read all of Ayn Rand's novels and non-fiction, which I encourage all teens to do, and discover, as Miss Rand herself put it, "a philosophy for living on earth."

Below is a link to an experience I had with a teenager that relates to "The Fountainhead... (more »)

2bRagnarD said...
Dec. 31, 2008 at 2:38 am:
I would encourage everybody to read Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged". If you are still in middle school, high school or college you can even enter the Ayn Rand Institutes essay contests for a chance to win prize money. Check them out at http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=education_contests_index. Even if you don't enter the essay contest these are enjoyable books to read.