The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordon

This summer I read many books but my all time favorite would be “The Son of Neptune,” by Rick Riordon. I have been following this series for over two years. In fact my siblings and I fight over the books when we manage to get a copy of the ongoing preceding series. My ratings for this book would be a perfect ten out of ten. I actually read this book last year when it came out in October 2011 but I forgot most of the events. So I read it this summer again as the next book is coming out in October 2012, yet it never ceases to leave me in awe of its magnificence. It did not even feel like I read an over five hundred page book as the events were captivating as I tried to not even miss one word.
From the many books by Rick Riordon, including “The Son of Neptune,” his humor always stands out. It’s so unexpected and it makes a reader crave for more. All of Riordon’s characters are regular teenagers with normal teenage problems but yet there is a divine quality in them that makes their lives a struggle between the Greek and Roman Gods and the mortal world. In fact Riordon’s main characters are half Greek/Roman Gods and half mortal giving them the name demigod or even half-blood. Readers go through many adventures with the characters as they struggle everyday to keep balance between their two very different lives. Riordon’s writing style always keeps a reader at the edge of their seat with jaw dropping events. His characters are uniquely woven into different personalities, struggles, obstacles and as Riordon would call it a struggle to overcome a “fatal flaw,” as every demigod has one. For example Percy Jackson’s fatal flaw is his desire to protect everyone he cares about including his family and friends even if it means giving up his life. Annabeth Chase’s fatal flaw is deadly pride and she even believes that she could have built the world better than the Gods. These are examples of fatal flaws that all heroes/demigods have that come with being a hero. The settings in this book are rich and can be easily pictured as the demigods go on a quest that take them to San Francisco bay to Canada all the way to cold icy Alaska. As many GOOD VS. EVIL books this book along with the series teaches readers to be good people and to always do what is right. These morals are woven into the characters as they follow their heart at the same time angering the Gods of Olympus and making their Godly parent proud. In this way I did connect with the characters as it is almost every child’s dream to make their parents proud. The way Riordon described the setting makes me want to visit the places the demigods went to but without having the world on my shoulders. Instead, the amazing visuals Riordon describes makes me want to visit the places as a clueless tourist adventurer. If you ask me “Would I read something else by this author?” I would say even if Rick Riordon writes a million books I will not stop until I suck all the words out of the pages into my head until I read the last book. The real sad truth is that I am not willing to depart from the series and I really do not want it to end but in reality all good things have to come to an end. But depressing day is still going to come and my journey for another amazing series will never stop.
This book made me want to read Greek and Roman mythology along with giving me an increasing fascination of Greek and Roman culture. This book brings back Greek and Roman culture in modern era. On another account, this book also made me realize that even if you’re a demigod, have the world resting on your shoulders, about to witness the Gods go into war and have monsters chasing you right on your tail because you stink (uhh..I forgot to mention demigods have scents that can be smelt by monsters more than 100 miles away) you still have normal teenage problems such as your father/mother never showing up your entire life with no explanation until you turn thirteen and reality hits you smack in the face that you’re a demigod.

Cecelia1998 said...
Tjhis book was amazinga and the review really captures the book.

CelebrateDifferencesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Thank you very much