Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah | Teen Ink

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

By aschxo SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York
aschxo SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York

Friendship has always been cherished in American society. It is depicted in television shows, movies and real life frequently. Friends are a very important aspect in everyone’s life but what would happen if your best friend became practically your sister? Firefly Lane, by Kristin Hannah reveals all the perks and bumps along the long road of friendship of sisterhood.

The story begins in the year 1974, where new girl, Tully Hart moves across from reclusive Kate Mularkey. Tully appears to have everything Kate ever wanted, but Tully is hiding a secret under all of that mascara and bronzer. After a perturbed night Tully had, she meets Kate on Firefly Lane, a small street in their quaint farm town. There, the girls confide their secrets to one another and start a powerful and perpetual friendship lasting throughout the entire novel.

This novel is divided into sections by decade, starting from the 1970s up until the 2000s. Each decade indicates changes in Kate and Tully’s relationship and reveals twists that the reader would never had expected to occur. Every significant moment throughout the novel will send chills through your spine and a jump in your heart.

Hannah did a magnificent job of revealing realistic human emotions throughout the novel, leaving an impact on the reader. Firefly Lane will truly change your perspective on life and friendship as a whole and what really matters when it comes to the end. Hannah’s words will echo in your brain and inspire your heart to follow its dreams.

Firefly Lane is an influential piece of literature that will ultimately make you laugh, cry and jump up and down.