How to Be Black by Baratunde Thurston | Teen Ink

How to Be Black by Baratunde Thurston MAG

September 25, 2012
By StephanieMichelle GOLD, Bledsoe, Kentucky
StephanieMichelle GOLD, Bledsoe, Kentucky
17 articles 8 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, whom does not take pleasure in a good book must be incredibly stupid. --- Jane Austen


While I was at IdeaFestival this year, Baratunde Thurston, blogger, comedian, self-proclaimed 30-year-veteran “black guy,” and author of the New York Times best-selling How to Be Black, delivered an outstanding speech that was both promotional and inspirational.

His approach to social commentary and popular misconceptions surrounding African-American stereotypes was so endearing and witty that I was seized with an immediate desire to purchase this book. The fact that the sardonic epithet, “If you don't buy this book, you're a racist,” is branded on the inside flap of the book jacket was an additional incentive. It turned out to be the funniest, cleverest, most thought-provoking satirical memoir I have ever read.

Anyone interested in African-American culture, ­history, oppression, and humor should read this book. Although structured as a tongue-in-cheek approach to the African-American negotiation of society, it is also a real testimony to the emotional and psychological struggle against racism and societal ignorance. It is not necessary for a reader to be African-American to enjoy or get something from How to Be Black.


The author's comments:
In the aftermath of purchasing this book, I and two other white girls read our copies in the middle of a crowded park and promoted it to death! Haha.