The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chboksy | Teen Ink

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chboksy

By AnaBlount BRONZE, Whitmore Lake, Michigan
AnaBlount BRONZE, Whitmore Lake, Michigan

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is the kind of book that changes your perspective of the world around you. In this book, we meet Charlie through a series of letters, in which he describes his life as an introverted outsider to someone who we only know as “friend.” Charlie is beginning high school with no friends, following the suicide of his best friend the year before. However, Charlie does make friends during high school. Two seniors, Sam and Patrick, introduce Charlie to the real world, full of sex, drugs and the Rocky Horror Picture Show. He learns how to “participate” and truly enjoy life. As the novel progresses Charlie learns more and more about people and the world, and he sees things as no one else does. Charlie is different, he’s brilliant and kind, but he’s socially inept. He was an outsider before Sam and Patrick accepted him, before they became him friends. The way Charlie talks, the way he describes things, is so perfect and true and different, you can’t help but to see things the way he does. You can’t help but to connect with Charlie and feel like you’re experiencing everything with him. The trials and the triumphs, the moments he felt infinite and the moments that he wanted to never have existed. This book is truly a coming-of-age story that every single high school student should read, because Charlie is someone that everyone should know. This book is so perfect and so deep and so true. Everyone deserves a friendship like Charlie had with Sam and Patrick, everyone deserves to feel infinite.

This book literally changed my life, and I hope others will read it and enjoy it as much as I did.