The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls | Teen Ink

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

By @rayce BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
@rayce BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls is one of the better books I’ve read in a long time. It is exciting, entertaining, and always kept me interested. While it was slow at times, and often depressing, it was still exciting and thought provoking. The book not only depicts a truly hard life, but it also shows that there really are people out there who can come through ok. I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of ups and downs while following the Walls family life. Just when you think things could never get better, with the poverty, an alcoholic father, and a mother who doesn’t want to be responsible for her children, the kids still got through. With a life like Jeanette’s, it really makes you think about your own circumstances. Is losing your cell phone or your favorite earrings really something to complain about? These kids didn’t even have warm clothes, a roof over their heads or food to eat. One of the best parts of The Glass Castle is when others throughout the story see how Jeanette and her family live and try to help. Jeanette didn’t even realize that her family was living in poverty. It wasn’t until her middle school years, when she moved to Welch, West Virginia, that she realized she did not live like all of the other kids. When the Walls family was not on the move from city to city, they were living in some run down shack or a cheap apartment. When Jeanette’s grandma died they moved into her home which was the first actual “home” they had. As I finished the book, it felt good knowing that I had a home, clothes, and food on the table everyday. Jeanette and her family had nothing. The title of the book, The Glass Castle, is based on a dream of Rex Walls (Jeanette’s father). He dreamed of a home made of glass. That dream faded away along with the money. After reading this book, you have a different perspective on life. I would definitely recommend reading this book because it is exciting, dramatic, and eccentric with an underlying sense of humor. The next time you get an annoying text or don’t have enough money for that fancy shirt you want, just think how lucky you are to have the things you do. Be grateful you are not living like poor Jeanette and the Walls family.

on Aug. 26 2012 at 11:34 pm
AwesomeFernie BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Great review. It was put together very well. I haven't read this book yet, but I may consider reading it now

on Aug. 23 2012 at 10:53 pm
Star2316 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
I really liked your review! It was inspiring how you said the kids made it through with their hardships at home, it does make you think. I loved how you added we freak out about little things like losing our phones or earings, there are much more bigger issues out there! 

on Aug. 23 2012 at 10:53 pm
Star2316 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

on Aug. 23 2012 at 10:34 pm
KaylieCha97 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

"Go jump off a cliff"

This novel seemed like an eye-opener. Just by reading this review, I feel like my whole life has changed. This makes me realize how grateful I am for everything I have. I now am appreciative for my circumstances in life.

Kwells said...
on Aug. 23 2012 at 8:05 pm
Kwells, Reno, Nevada
I  also read this book and I think you did a good job of explaining all the different emotions it has. You make the book sound so interesting and you did a great job of putting everything the book is about into a short review. Great job

on Aug. 14 2012 at 6:34 pm
cayaTW PLATINUM, Yuma, Arizona

Those who forget history will often repeat it

i haven't read this book, but congratulations you have convinced me to.  Good review.

on Aug. 12 2012 at 5:12 pm
Shayna Wyatt BRONZE, RENO, Nevada
Nicely done Rayce.  I have read this book and absolutely loved it although I definitely agree with your comment on how it can be depressing at times.  Her story was sad yet witty, a combination that makes it hard to put it down.  Very well written review!