Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

May 23, 2012
By goaty GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
goaty GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Son of Neptune

Not Many sixteen year old kids could survive well alone in a big city. They would most likely sleep in a cardboard box and eat out of a dumpster, but somehow Percy gets along. Though not much better, but he isn’t really alone. He has two immortal roman monsters trying to kill him. Son of Neptune is the second book of the series The Heroes of Olympus, by Rick Riordan. He pretty much continued his first Percy Jackson series picking up about eight months after the last one ended.

The only reason I ever read this book is because in 6th grade my reading teacher had the class read the first book in the series, The Lightning Thief. After that I was hooked and had to read all of Rick Riordan’s books. I chewed through all the book he had written, but I was still hungry for more.

I read many good books in the time I waited but none compared to his newest book Son of Neptune. I got the book as soon as I could and was through it just about as fast. The first time i saw it was in Sam’s Club and I read the first chapter right there in the store.
It started with percy alone in California running away from two monsters that are trying to kill him, but he cannot be killed and neither can they. When running he finds a roman demigod camp where he gets the opposite of a warm welcome. He is a son of Neptune and greek so they hate him. So many people are glad when he is sent on what appears to be a one way trip to alaska to save the world.

The further I got into the book the more I had to read and the time I could put it down for. All the times when Percy and his friends almost died on the trip to alaska kept me reading because I had to know if he would live. It made me feel like I was there running and fighting right beside them.

Overall I loved the book, but I think it went too fast. I couldn’t put it down and even when I did it wasn’t for long, so the bookmark just kept moving. I took most of it in but not all, so within three months I was reading it again. It was just good the second time as the first, but the one thing that got me both times was the end. I hated almost as much as I loved. It was just like beginning, it just made me want to read more but the book was over and the next one wasn’t done yet so I was at a dead end. Hanging off a cliff. So don’t read this until the next book comes out, or better yet, wait until he finishes the series. The book is great, but the hunger for more is greater.