Anne of Green Gables by Lucy M. Montgomery | Teen Ink

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy M. Montgomery

April 17, 2012
By collegegirladventures GOLD, Mequon, Wisconsin
collegegirladventures GOLD, Mequon, Wisconsin
10 articles 8 photos 307 comments

Favorite Quote:
A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.

~Salman Rushdie


The book Anne of Green Gables (Bantam Books, 1987) was written by Lucy M. Montgomery. It was originally published in 1908. This book is one of her famous works of fiction.



The story takes place in a lovely Canadian town called Green Gables. Two elderly siblings, Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert, lived in the town. Marilla was strict, but gentle and lovable. Matthew had a wonderful sense of humor.



The Cuthberts wanted to adopt a boy. The Cuthberts were getting old, and they needed someone strong to handle the home. Instead, they ended up adopting a girl named Anne Shirley, a fiery, red-headed 13-yr old with a huge imagination. Since Anne was not the child they originally wanted, the Cuthberts thought about sending her back to the orphanage. Anne did her very best to convince them to let her stay, and in the end she won the hearts of those in Green Gables, including Marilla, Matthew, and young Gilbert Blythe, the boy who would become Anne’s husband in the near future.



The message of the book is that no one should ever give up on an opportunity. There is no way to predict how things might go in life. Just like if I were to cut down an apple tree, I wouldn’t know how many good apples it would have produced.


When Anne was new to Green Gables, it took a long time for people to accept her like she was, and I can relate in this way. Like me, she also made people smile with her humor and vibrant personality.



Anne of Green Gables was one of my favorite childhood books, and today I still enjoy reading the story. I wish the story didn’t have so many descriptions of the landscapes, but focused more on the characters. The book, however, is one of those books which last in your imagination for a long time. Even today, I still recall little details from the book, such as Anne dying her hair green, getting Diana drunk, and her being so anxious to stay in Green Gables. I think about these sometimes and give a little chuckle whenever I do. I’m glad a have a few things to bring a smile on my face. If people are looking for a book with some good laughs and a sweet ending, this is the book I’d recommend.


The author's comments:
I love the book Anne Of Green Gables. I hope this book review will make you want to read it, too. :)