True Grit by Charles Portis | Teen Ink

True Grit by Charles Portis

March 12, 2012
By Brazerker BRONZE, Garretson, South Dakota
Brazerker BRONZE, Garretson, South Dakota
2 articles 0 photos 8 comments

True grit is a teen-adult novel about a girl named Mattie Ross who is trying to get revenge on a murderous man named Tom Chaney for killing her Father. It takes place in the 1920’s in Western part of Arkansas.

This book had a sad felling at first, but then it turned into an adventure for blood thirsty revenge. It had events happening all through the book. This book had a magnificent storyline to it. The novel was written very well and had an advanced vocabulary

At first I expected this book to be a wild goose chase with no end, but it surprised me. The novel had a tad bit of romance, bloodshed, and even humor. My favorite part is when Rooster Cogburn, the Sheriff, says, “Prepare to die you son of a b****!” Then a big gun fight broke loose and blood was splattering everywhere. People were falling of their horses, with holes in their body and head. I think Charles Portis wrote this book for enjoyment of teens and young adults at the time, but after they made a movie in 1969 the book was read for entertainment and see if they portrayed it correctly according to the novel. The greatest part of the book was at the end of the book, and absorbing all of the adventure in and also picturing it in your mind as you read. Without the adventure and excitement the book would have been completely boring.

It went into this book thinking it was going to be a complete dud, but turned out to be one of my favorite novels I had ever read. I recommend this book to any person who likes westerns and adventure. I don’t recommend it to people who don’t like sad endings. After I finished the book I went to see the movie with John Wayne and it followed the storyline up to the end of the movie then they made it into a happy ending. The True Grit that was made in 2010 was correctly portrayed and they even got the sad ending right.