.Cut. by Patricia McCormick | Teen Ink

.Cut. by Patricia McCormick

By _KTLS_ PLATINUM, McMurray, Pennsylvania
_KTLS_ PLATINUM, McMurray, Pennsylvania

“Sometimes when we’re in situations where we feel we’re not in control, we do things, especially things that take a lot of energy, as a way of making ourselves feel we have some power.”

Callie has been sent to Sea Pines, a rehabilitation center. All of the other residents call it “Sick Minds,” because everyone there has some sort of problem, and making fun of the facility helps them to keep their minds off their problems. There’s Debbie, who compulsively overeats, Tara, who’s anorexic, and a new girl, Amanda. Callie doesn’t like Amanda, because Amanda does the same thing that Callie does: she cuts herself. Callie has been refusing to – or unable to – speak since arriving at Sick Minds, and Amanda seems to make things worse. But as the story unfolds and readers discover why Callie does what she does, we begin to understand her problems and her decisions.

Another winner by Patricia McCormick, Cut is reminiscent of the ever-popular It’s Kind of a Funny Story and the lesser-known memoir The Last Time I Wore a Dress. McCormick gives her readers insight into both a residential treatment facility and the mind of a child who feels the weight of the world on her shoulders. I would recommend this book to high school girls – all of the characters in the book are female, so boys might have trouble relating to the content. The content is very serious, but I believe that most high schoolers would be able to handle the themes.

I GIVE THIS BOOK FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS