The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By wolverines PLATINUM, Everett, Washington
wolverines PLATINUM, Everett, Washington

In the county of Panem, entertainment is cruel, when letting people of ages 12-18 years old fight to the death on television. A 16-year-old, Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take place of her 12 year old sister Prim (Primrose Everdeen). Her companion in the games is Peeta Mellark, the baker’s son. They struggle to stay alive, and in the end find compassion for each other in the Capitols deadly Arena.

As excepted, my reading experience was very enjoyable, because I have read her books (Gregor the Overlander) and I really appreciated the series. In addition, since there was a lot of talk about The Hunger Games, and since my god sister read the series she got me excited to read the books. The message that I saw, was not to pre-judge or be pre-judged, because if you do, your are future might hold significant surprises.

Since Suzanne Collins is a well-known author, she has won -New York Times best Seller and The Hunger Games has won- Best Books of the Year (2008), also The Cybil winner 2008. My star rating for The Hunger Games would be four of five stars; my reasoning is that Peeta Mellark, in my eyes is not very manly, even though he is the baker’s son, I think he should be trying to save Katniss not the other way around.

This is a good book; do not believe anyone that tells you otherwise. What if you were chosen to fight to the death, against 23 others? That would be frightening, but as you would suspect, Katniss would be put to the test, of all of her ability, while facing all kinds of danger. If you want to find out the rest, you had better hurry down to you library, and get yourself a copy. They are usually all checked out. Good Luck. If you have already read The Hunger Games it does not end there, the story will be continued in Catching Fire and MockingJay.