Crossed by Ally Condie

Cassia Reyes is your typical female protagonist. She's strong willed, courageous, and like most other romance novels, would do and give anything for the love of her life, Ky Markham. I was rather fond of Cassia in the book, because she wasn't self centered and was more worried about her family than Ky, which is hard to find in romance novels. Twilight. 'Nuff said.

Crossed, the second book of the dystopian “Matched” trilogy, is about the 17-year old Cassia who sets out across the futuristic Society and through the deadly Outer Provinces, overcoming poisoned rivers and scorched deserts all for this boy she holds so dear to her. When I first picked up the book, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it also showed Ky's point of view instead of just Cassia's. It was a fresh perspective on the story, and being the fangirl I am, I was giddy to “get in Ky's head” considering he's so quiet and closed off most of the time.

The first two or three chapters were terribly cliché. Who does she love, Xander or Ky. She misses Ky, but Xander will always have a special place in her heart no one else could fill, yadda yadda. I feel like the whole “Girl's bestfriend falls in love with her, but she loves someone else who will she choose” is terribly overused. So I was disappointed, but things started picking up quickly enough.

The rest of the book is about the two of them desperately trying to get back to each other, but also finding the Rising. When the stuff about The Rising came up, I was so heartbroken. I was just starting to get into the book, then I kept getting Hunger Games flashbacks. If Twilight and The Hunger Games eloped, then Crossed would be their baby. I was so disappointed, and I can't say that enough. I did like it, but I just had such high hopes that it wouldn't be so fluffy and romantic only to have them let down. They got into a lovers spat maybe once, but much to my dismay they made up about 3 pages later. I wish it had been more realistic, because no relationship is ever that perfect, but it is fiction I suppose.

All in all, it was an alright book. Ally Condie could have gone a hundred different ways with it, and sadly she didn't. It wasn't anything new or exciting, nothing jumped out at me. However, I wasn't completely unsatisfied. It did have a lot more action than Matched, and even though the ending was rather anticlimactic, it still left me itching to read more which is what every writers job is to do. So in this case, job well done. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

1direction47007 said...
Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:49 pm:
This book is REAL good! Full of adventure and romance.