Little Women by Louisa May Alcott | Teen Ink

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

By BrigitteG SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
BrigitteG SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

“Well, of course Aunt March prefers Amy over me. Why shouldn't she? I'm ugly and awkward and I always say the wrong things. I fly around throwing away perfectly good marriage proposals. I love our home, but I'm just so fitful and I can't stand being here! I'm sorry, I'm sorry Marmee. There's just something really wrong with me. I want to change, but I - I can't. And I just know I'll never fit in anywhere.” -Jo

Calmness and emotion swelled in me as I flipped through the pages of Louisa May Alcott’s famous novel, Little Women. Unlike many people know, Little Women, was not Alcott’s first novel but she is mostly recognized by it. Anxiously, I flipped through the pages trying to understand the actions taken by the main characters.

Meg’s, Jo’s, Beth’s, and Amy’s problems and expectations in life fill the pages, from corner to corner. The March sisters are the spotlight of the novel filling you with their darkest secrets and most desired wishes. Each girl has their own personal problems, problems that they must face alone or with the aid of their family and friends.

Personally, my favorite character through the entire story was Jo March. Josephine March is unique in her own way; she never goes by the rules and has a passion to follow her heart’s demands. Running into trouble and enjoying life without worrying about the other’s opinion of her. Josephine March does have a down sides, of course like anyone else; she is impatient, a trouble maker, and hotheaded. Most of the time, for example, she can’t hold conversation without getting into an argument.

Little Women, in my opinion is a marvelous novel, filled with humorous adventures and tragic moments. One of my favorite parts of the story is the moment Teddy proposes to Jo and even though she rejects him she still loves him.

I personally recommend Little Women, to anyone who enjoys a bit of romance, disappointment, reading about a group of girls struggling in life.