Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

By Lexi Heath BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Lexi Heath BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Laurie Halse Anderson’s first novel, Speak, is a thrilling and sad novel about 14-year old Melinda Sordino who busted an end-of-the- year summer party by calling the cops. When she returned to school for her freshman year, people who did not know her, hated her. Melinda’s old best friend wouldn't talk to her and now she is all alone dealing with her tragedy. This book has many themes, one of which is moral dilemma, and Melinda has to decide if she wants to speak up or not. Read this book to discover why the cops were called, what happened to Melinda the late summer night, and why she needs to speak up.
Laurie Halse Anderson did a wonderful job writing her first novel, Speak. When Melinda starts to come out of her shadow, I want to jump into the book and tell her to keep going! Once Melinda has her voice she doesn’t keep her secret to herself anymore. I loved when this happened it made me feel in control. This book is mature and I recommend it to girls around the ages of 13-15. This is a wonderful novel and I encourage you and your friends to read it!