Wintergirls by laurie halson anderson

When was the last time you read a book that made you think? A book that leaves you in a question.

“.............................Thirty-three missed calls..................................”

“....................Body found in motel room alone......................”

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson is a realistic fiction book about an anorexic girl named Lia who found out her best friend, Cassie, died. Throughout the book, she tries to get Cassie out of her head, causing many problem to herself and her family. Lia’s family is clueless and too busy to help. This voice in her head telling her to stay strong and lose more weight is pushing her closer to death. This book is a powerful look at the theme of hope. Lia’s parents hope and beg for Lia to eat and stay healthy. Conflicts between Lia and her parents turn Lia’s mind the opposite way from better.

Wintergirls is well written and once I started to read it I could not stop. Anderson used good detail to express the way her characters were feeling. She also comes in with action beginning when Lia finds out Cassie had died. It really looped me in. The ending also had a little twist in it. The conflict between Lia and other characters was so well described that I could picture exactly what was happening. I recommend this book to young teenage girls also maybe younger adults. If you like a cliffhanger, then you need to read this book.